Author Topic: Member in distress, breakdown, help needed!  (Read 14356 times)

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: Member in distress, breakdown, help needed!
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 13:47:31 »
Arthur,

Is this flange nut not a problem on the autos?

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

A Dalton

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2005, 16:37:28 »
BS,

It does not seem to be , but ..
 Don't have a solid answer for you  as to why , just seems to be the case.
 If any auto trans guys here have had the same problems as many of the stick guys have had with this common problem , be nice to know ..

..prob has to do with autos upshifting auto under load ???
or, maybe even a better tail shaft spline fit ??
 *An added note here .
  Many order the pin wrench and it usually winds up the wrong fit .
 Well , seems there are two different ones , so make sure before you order one..

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2005, 20:40:55 »
Dalton, the pin socket I bought is from SirTools.com.  I can't remember the part number and there aren't any markings on it.  It was the only one they showed.  I originally got the tool part number from Naj. I believe he had purchased and used one so it must have been right for his car.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2005, 21:04:28 »
Hello Bob,
The problem is a lot less likely on automatics. But I have seen it. It is ususually a result of improper installation of the slotted nut on the automatics after rear transmission seal replacement and/or flange replacement.

The brass speedometer drive gear for both the auto and std. transmissions has no key or spline and depends on the tightness of the nut to keep them  from slipping!

On a standard transmission the tightness of the nut keeps the entire main gear cluster tight. If the nut should come loose so does the gear cluster, causing a bouncy speedometer (especially under acceleration and de-acceleration). Often some shifting problems will follow (slight nipping when going into gears or hard shifting). The problem on the standard transmissions is once the cluster becomes loose enough it will shift a key out of place and then just tightening the slotted nut may not completely solve the problem.
Bad synchronizers are usually blamed for the bad shifting, this is rarely the case!

The slotted nut should be checked for tightness when repairs provide an opportunity or problems occure. There is a sheetmetal lock plate  for this slotted nut, which should be replaced at these times.

I will try to do a standard transmission "tour" soon, since there is little information posted on these units. Stay tuned!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2005, 02:26:20 »
quote:
Dalton, the pin socket I bought is from SirTools.com. I can't remember the part number and there aren't any markings on it. It was the only one they showed. I originally got the tool part number from Naj. I believe he had purchased and used one so it must have been right for his car.

The one for the gearbox is M0029.
The nut on the diff is different and uses M0030.

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Ben

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2005, 04:59:17 »
quote:
On a standard transmission the tightness of the nut keeps the entire main gear cluster tight. If the nut should come loose so does the gear cluster, causing a bouncy speedometer (especially under acceleration and de-acceleration). Often some shifting problems will follow (slight nipping when going into gears or hard shifting). The problem on the standard transmissions is once the cluster becomes loose enough it will shift a key out of place and then just tightening the slotted nut may not completely solve the problem.
Bad synchronizers are usually blamed for the bad shifting, this is rarely the case!

.............a Tour would be really usefull !  I tried to rebuild my tranny afew years back and it wasn't succesful! I had the speed o bounce problem, I had some noise and "Jumping" out of 4th !

I opened it and didn't see to much wrong, I replaced the bearings and synchro rings ...........I saw that key way you mentioned Joe...
but it still felt the same when I put it back together ! I later replaced the output flange nut and lock plate, having borrowed the tool from Naj.

I now see the speedo doing its trick again and I have a spare standard tranny which I want to rebuild then swop in !  Any info would be great here !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2005, 06:14:57 »
quote:
standard transmission "tour"

While on the subject, is a 4 speed with floor shift from a 220Se same as a Pagoda box?

I was given one by a club member. Externally, it looks the same except the change speed lever on the top cover is horizontal instead if 'angled' downwards.

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 10:28:14 by naj »
68 280SL

A Dalton

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2005, 09:17:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond

Dalton, the pin socket I bought is from SirTools.com.  I can't remember the part number and there aren't any markings on it.  It was the only one they showed.  I originally got the tool part number from Naj. I believe he had purchased and used one so it must have been right for his car.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe

The problem one runs into with this pin socket is all the manufactures list them by auto trans type. No mention of manual , so this is the cause of the confusion...
 So , guys sometime order the late K4C-025 one , when it is the earlier K4A -025 auto one that fits our manual trans nut.
 So , whichever manufacturer one uses , make sure their listing is for the K4A/025 trans and it will be the correct stick one .
 The pin for rear diff is the  same for  all swing axles, so one never winds up w/imcorrect one , as it is the only one...
 You would think that they would mention this difference , but they do not..
 If one has a late .044, the K4C-025 auto is correct. I believe that would be after the '69 break line..
It is not uncommon to see a posting where someone orders this tool and winds up with the one that does not fit ...50/50 chance, anyway. They then wind up making there own .  .. which is way better than the punch technique  :)
 I think on the sticks , a little LockTite might be in order. too..
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 09:33:11 by A Dalton »

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2005, 11:12:18 »
Getting the end play set on the input shaft is what makes the trans shift smoothly. Any end play and the shaft moves before the syncro starts to work. This can cause the trans to jump out of gear but most of that is caused by a worn input shaft. The end where it fits into the pilot bearing can have no wear which is caused by a siezed pilot bearing and/or too much end play on the shaft. This movement can cause a deflection to occour on the main shaft which will sometimes make the trans pop out of high gear under load.
There are a number of small shims onder the front cover plate which need to be added to get the end play set to about .001''. I've seen them as much as .030'' or more.

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

n/a

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2005, 11:30:52 »
Hey Everyone...

Maybe this should be a new topic, and if so, do advise...but i read the part about the bouncing speedo needle and i have been told that the same problem exists with th evehicle i am currently investigating for purchase( 1964 230SL 4spd euro). Is there something else i should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

enochbell

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2005, 12:21:20 »
You know, I am quite sure my car was in much better shape before I started reading this board...

I also have the speedo needle bounce.  Assumed it was the speedo, now I wish it was that easy.  It is no problem when ambient temp. is cold (below 50 F) but it is sluggish when hot (not the car, the ambient temp.) The speedo works well @<40mph but in higher ranges is will fall off and show 10-30 mph less than actual speed, and it works accurately only under hard acceleration.  Sounds like the speedo drive gear is slipping?

I'm goin' in.  Should I have on hand shims for the input shaft or should I try first to just tighten the nut?  I will replace the trans. mount while in there, are there other maintenance items I should attend to while I am at it?

Thanks for the advice,

Greg

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2005, 15:10:19 »
Hey Arthur and Joe,

Thanks for the replies.
I think SteveRen is right, this discussion should be a separate topic.
There is a lot of important info here that shouldn't be lost in an un-related discussion.

Greg,
don't despair!

RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 15:11:58 by hands_aus »
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Ben

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2005, 07:35:32 »
Dan.........when you say "pilot bearing" are you talking about the spigot bearing in the end of the crankshaft ??

(That ol' language barrier thing again  ;) !!  )

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.