Author Topic: early sun visor clips ? (color selection)  (Read 34260 times)

benzportland

early sun visor clips ? (color selection)
« on: June 19, 2008, 23:30:04 »
I have not seen a thread directly on this topic - what's the deal with sun visor clips?  It's my understand that what is currently being sold my the Classic Center and others is not correct and/or may not even function?  I ask because my visors seem to be from a sedan (white on one side, black on other) but I am not sure if the clips are original.  Anyone out there interested in making repros?

UPDATE:

So it looks like there are two versions?  My thinking is that the version without the metal clip would obviously be easier to reproduce (assuming those with metal clips would also need metal clips made).  I'm not sure what would be involved with reproducing the metal clip but perhaps someone else out there would have some ideas?

To produce both versions would require two more moulds and more testing, which would likely increase the price.  Anyone have any thoughts on how to proceed?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 21:15:54 by benzportland »

hauser

Re: early sun visor clips ? (color selection)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 00:36:47 »
Try the Classic Center.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 00:38:22 by hauser »

hauser

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 00:37:20 »
Gernold at SLTech has them for sale.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:50:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by hauser

Try the Classic Center.

The Classic Center will sell you absolutely the wrong clips which do not function.  (I'm assuming a 230 SL or early 250 SL - not sure about a later style).  The clips that they sell are sort of ivory colored and if you set them on there base on a horizontal surface, the groove where the visor connects is completely horizontal.  This is not correct.  If you set the original ones on a horizontal surface, the groove will be slightly at an angle, just as the visor itself is where it meets the clip when installed in your car.  Miller's also sells the same incorrect clip.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

benzportland

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 13:05:26 »
Thanks and I was wondering too if this was the same for all models, so it sounds like what is out there now is definetly incorrect for early versions, but they are being sold as correct.  I am wondering if anyone would be good enough to post pics of the old vs. new and any other variations?  This would be really frustrating to buy new visors and have clips that do not work, and I hear that this part usually breaks every several years anyway.  I wonder if Kay, who manufactured the repro visors, would be able/interested in making the correct clips?

quote:
Originally posted by scoot

quote:
Originally posted by hauser

Try the Classic Center.

The Classic Center will sell you absolutely the wrong clips which do not function.  (I'm assuming a 230 SL or early 250 SL - not sure about a later style).  The clips that they sell are sort of ivory colored and if you set them on there base on a horizontal surface, the groove where the visor connects is completely horizontal.  This is not correct.  If you set the original ones on a horizontal surface, the groove will be slightly at an angle, just as the visor itself is where it meets the clip when installed in your car.  Miller's also sells the same incorrect clip.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 15:12:09 »
I don't have a pic of the later visor clip but here is a picture showing the 230SL visor clips.
They may be hard to reproduce because one edge is right angle to the base and the other tilted and in addition the top is a bit slanted making the right edge (as seen in the pic) a bit shorter. This is clearly noticeable for the metal insert. I believe (but am not sure) the "front/lower" wall may be thicker and a bit more convex than the "rear/top" wall.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 15:12:43 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 18:22:46 »
Here's the comparison photo I used when trying to explain to someone what the problem was.  It shows the new (non-functional) one.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 18:26:23 by scoot »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

benzportland

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 18:39:53 »
Excellent reference / resource.  Much appreciated!!

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 06:37:50 »
Scoot,

Hi.  Excellent picture showing the problem, but could you resize it, or post it as a link or something?  I believe most people find it annoying to have to scroll left/right to read text because of a large photo.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 09:31:51 »
I just resized Scoot's picture, which I could do because it was uploaded to our server. When people link to externally hosted pictures, please ensure the dimensions of the picture (horizontally) do NOT exceed 800 pixels... when you link externally, I cannot fix it, you see.

For futher info, please see http://www.sl113.org/forums/faq.asp#GetForum

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2008, 22:50:18 »
Well, about 3 years ago I purchased new clips from Ray at the old SL Classics. My old ones had two hairline cracks. The new ones looked very cheap to me -- so much so that I decided to use a washer and live with my originals. But ironically, (as to this thread), my old ones just started getting worse.

So, today, I took the old ones off, compared them side by side to the new ones, and then proceeded to install the new ones. Here are my findings:

The new ones are definitely smaller and more generic looking.

Old and new: Download Attachment: clips.jpg
36.7 KB

They are almost white whereas the old ones were a light grey. With my car and dash being white, they kind of go with the interior.

Download Attachment: clips2.jpg
72.61 KB

They do fit and yes they do hold the visor in place. If I could get the real deal, I may change back someday but for now they are ok.

Oh and by the way, be careful not to drop the screws... I did and down it went into the abyss that is "under the seat." I knew I was in trouble -- its really hard to get to under there. So, you all will be proud: I invented my first tool ... turned out to be quite lucrative!  :)

Download Attachment: stuff.JPG
60.18 KB
James
63 230SL

benzportland

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 20:59:25 »
I did some research and found someone who makes moulds and recreates obscure plastic automotive parts.  I sent him a pic of a clip and he said the price would be $125.00 for the mould, and $10.00 for each piece.  I realized after that we will actually need two moulds, so I would assume $250.00 plus $10.00 each.  This was for one hundred pieces.  So, a new set would be $25.00.  I am wondering if there is enough interest at that price, assuming the quality of the pieces was acceptable?

franjo_66

• Silver
  • Australia, NSW, Point Piper
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 04:26:08 »
I think that the indicative price is very reasonable. So I would definitely purchase a set. Let us know how it goes !

Rgds
Frank
1965 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
Franjo

1965 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1983 BMW 735i
1986 560 SEC
1991 500SL
1982 Holden Statesman DeVille

blue230sl

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 08:23:00 »
i would purchase a set also.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 10:04:24 »
I would buy a set.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Anfinn

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 10:08:46 »
I would buy a set.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 11:29:16 »
OK, now I am _really_ confused.  J. Huber shows a picture of an old-style clip compared with the new ones that is totally different from my picture of the old-style clip as compared with the new one.  We all seem to agree on what the new one looks like, but there seem to be two different old-style clips.  Compare the pictures in the thread.  And compare with the one on ebay that ends in 9 hours.  Item #130232101327 -- I was going to buy this but now I see that it isn't what I need at all, but perhaps it is what one of you need.  I need what is shown in 66andBlue's post.  I don't need what is shown as the first picture in J. Huber's post.   Very confusing....
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 11:29:33 by scoot »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 12:17:54 »
I kind of see what you mean Scott. The Ebay one does look like mine. And I spent a lot of time trying to see the pronounced "slant" that Alfred's have. Mine is really not so slanted. So I wonder if there was an "early" 230 clip and a later 230 clip. Not really sure. But I may try for the Ebay item!
James
63 230SL

jszeman1

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, Waterford
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 13:09:32 »
I would buy a set
JohnS

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 13:23:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

I kind of see what you mean Scott. The Ebay one does look like mine. And I spent a lot of time trying to see the pronounced "slant" that Alfred's have. Mine is really not so slanted. So I wonder if there was an "early" 230 clip and a later 230 clip. Not really sure. But I may try for the Ebay item!

Get the ebay item.  I am trying to cancel my auction sniper bid for the item but auction sniper's site seems to be down!!!!
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

benzportland

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 17:07:01 »
I am thinking part of the confusion might be the different orientation of the pictures.  I've taken some of mine, which comes from a '65 230, chassis no. 009988 (March 29, 1965).  It did not have a metal clip/insert, it is solid.  On the underside are the characters "GHE" and "113."  The length of the base is 4.5 cm, height is 2.7, width of base is  1.6.  So, based on these pics I am thinking this could be a third version for the 230sl.  

Can't get pics to load at this time will have to try later.

Download Attachment: .JPG"] MVC-810F[1].JPG
137.33 KB

Download Attachment: .JPG"] MVC-811F[1].JPG
159.47 KB

Download Attachment: .JPG"] MVC-812F[1].JPG
126.45 KB

Download Attachment: .JPG"] MVC-813F[1].JPG
179.18 KB
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 21:36:37 by benzportland »

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 17:24:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by benzportland

I am thinking part of the confusion might be the different orientation of the pictures.  I've taken some of mine, which comes from a '65 230, chassis no. 009988 (March 29, 1965).  It did not have a metal clip/insert, it is solid.  On the underside are the characters "GHE" and "113."  The length of the base is 4.5 cm, height is 2.7, width of base is  1.6.

Can't get pics to load at this time will have to try later.

I am pretty confident that we are still talking about three different styles of clips:

1.  the ones that are depicted in J Huber's post - the first picture showing his old clip and the new MB clip

2.  the ones that are depicted in my post and in 66andBlue's post -- both of these posts show a possibly later version of an old-style clip that DOES have a metal portion inside.  (In case there is any confusion, my clips match what 66andBlue shows, his picture is just better.

3.  the new "replacement" clips available from MB and other vendors which are shown as the new clip in my post and in J Huber's first picture post.

I'm thinking that there is also a later style clip that goes for a 280 SL -- is that correct?  

For my car the critical part is the angle of the clip where the visor end meets the clip -- shown quite clearly in 66andBlue's post.  Without that tilt the clip doesn't hold the visor at all.

Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 20:42:21 »
Hey Scott. I am about to grab the ebay item. Hope your snipe thing is disabled! And everyone else is having dinner or something! Stay tuned!
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 21:48:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber
... So I wonder if there was an "early" 230 clip and a later 230 clip. Not really sure. ...

Hi James,
two distinguishing features of your "old" clip and the one on ebay (that's now yours too  :) ) are the hexagonal base compared to the narrower, more oval base of  your "newer" one, and mine and Scott's.  And I believe the old one also has a straight base while the others are curved.  
I wonder whether your old one did not come from a sedan from the same time? I believe that the spot where the clip is attached in the sedans is flat while in ours it is curved and hence the clip needs to be curved too.
Perhaps Waqas can show us what his looks on the sedan.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 21:51:37 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 22:28:38 »
Well Alfred, yes it looks like I am the proud owner of that clip. I figured it at least looks like my old ones -- and since one of mine is still decent, I have a back-up pair. You could be right about mine being from a sedan but I'd be curious what other early 230s look like. Jaco? or Paul or Achim may be able to help...

My three definitely have a hex base. To really complicate things, I notice the clip on Gernold's SL Tech page is yet another style...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 22:29:35 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL