Author Topic: POLL: Pagoda Idiosyncrasies  (Read 62774 times)

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: POLL: Pagoda Idiosyncrasies
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2009, 01:01:05 »
Just the nut behind the wheel - and each one of those IS unique!  ;^)
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

peterm

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2009, 17:30:22 »
Sorry - I couldn't resist-  but my pagoda has 2 nuts behind the wheel.  Mike is there something you need to tell us?

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2009, 23:34:13 »
Not in polite company!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Rolcan

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2009, 20:08:06 »
Just read through seven pages of idiosyncrasies and can't believe that no one mentioned that on the automatics the "Park" position is at the bottom of the gate and not at the top as it is in most cars.  One more for MERCEDES. 

hill

« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2009, 18:05:17 »
Just read through seven pages of idiosyncrasies and can't believe that no one mentioned that on the automatics the "Park" position is at the bottom of the gate and not at the top as it is in most cars.  One more for MERCEDES. 

This has bitten me in the A$$ a coulpe of times jumping from Pagoda to SEC. Fortunately not while driving just when putting it in to park. 

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2009, 00:05:36 »
Personally, I don't consider the reversed quadrant arrangement on our Pagodas to be idiosyncratic at all!  Rather, I think that it is a genuinely useful and practical feature that adds to my enjoyment of the car:  One can manually downshift the autobox out of fourth into third with the same motion one would use with a manual gearshift lever.  Likewise, the shift from third to fourth is a familiar "snick" of the gear lever.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

dseretakis

« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2009, 15:25:35 »
I've never driven an automatic pagoda but I've always wondered if I would ever get confused and shift into the wrong gears.

Personally, I don't consider the reversed quadrant arrangement on our Pagodas to be idiosyncratic at all!  Rather, I think that it is a genuinely useful and practical feature that adds to my enjoyment of the car:  One can manually downshift the autobox out of fourth into third with the same motion one would use with a manual gearshift lever.  Likewise, the shift from third to fourth is a familiar "snick" of the gear lever.

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2009, 17:24:32 »
No, no confusion at all.... it just seems perfectly normal when driving.  One just accepts it as part of the control layout and forgets about it.  That's probably why nobody thought to mention it, even though this topic has been open for two years now!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 17:26:33 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

abe280SL

« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2009, 05:50:15 »
Maybe its been mentioned but here are a few more:

-when I put gas in the tank I always have to rotate the gas nozzle 180 degrees so that I can still stand up as I am filling up.  Or else, I   
 would be kneeling on the floor pumping gas.
-when I turn on the fan I have to reach over to the right side of the car turn that knob that seems to rotate forever
-the incredible amount of leg room and head room compared to other cars of the same size 
-how my adjustable seat eventually ends up touching the back bench...the back rest never stays upright
-how you cant get your door windows adjusted to seal properly with the softop AND the hardtop
-how much money one spends to get that clock working right...and it never does
-how incredibly beautiful that clock mechanism looks...someone spent alot time on a clock that can't keep time
-how many cutts and scrapes I end up everytime I try to take a dash instrument out
-how you have to get that glove box in an open or closed position to take it out so that the spring doesn't scrape the side
-how unique that little glove box reading light is...its cute and girly
-finally, how I think of my car as a young woman and name it such...you don't think the same way of an american muscle car or porsche

abe
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 06:23:15 by abe280SL »

dseretakis

« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2009, 22:39:58 »
Good to know.

No, no confusion at all.... it just seems perfectly normal when driving.  One just accepts it as part of the control layout and forgets about it.  That's probably why nobody thought to mention it, even though this topic has been open for two years now!

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2009, 23:17:59 »
(This MUST have already been mentioned, but I didn't see it)
The way the fuel gauge needle hangs at 4/4 for up to 90 miles, then begins to creep down to 2/4, then picks up quite a bit of speed on the way to empty.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

glenn

« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2009, 01:17:25 »
Door window tracking -(Might be a repeat)  (I) like the way the window regulator keeps the forward glass edge closed and the rear edge open as it moves-and the resultant air flow.

Douglas

« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2009, 17:42:11 »
(I) like the way the window regulator keeps the forward glass edge closed and the rear edge open as it moves-and the resultant air flow.

Glenn,

If I understand you correctly, your window is out of alignment. It's supposed to be completely flush all the way around. You'll need to open up the door panel and align the glass.

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #113 on: February 29, 2012, 23:38:03 »
I thought I'd bring this back to life after 3 years!  Maybe there's some new ones not thought of yet.... ???
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2012, 00:02:28 »
Great thread.. I noticed comments from J.P. Mose:

"... just thought of a very current and major idiosyncrasy of the Pagoda.  It's the cost of possessing a Pagoda!  Have you noticed shops and restorations sources stating "it will cost you more JUST because it is an SL!"  I discovered the truth in this statement when I inquired about the re-chroming cost of my rear bumper.  They asked me immediately "what type of car is this off of?"  I stated it shouldn't make a difference if they provide the same quality of work across the board.  I then told them for grins, "It's off a Pinto!"   They immediately stated it appears to be a Mercedes bumper....It turned out that they have a fixed price for each auto manufacturer.  Guess how Mercedes pans out!   I guess all services rendered will be based somewhat on the perceived escalation value and the willingness to spend of the typical upscale Pagoda owner!"

As a low scale pagoda Owner I have been noticing this more and more when go to the shop to order parts I swear that they have two prices.   I found a shop in an out of the way location and when they asked for the type of car I have I replied a Rusty old 280.    I looked at the receipt the other day and it said my name and "Rusty 280".     

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2012, 00:27:05 »
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. It was fun to see all the comments and  I have to agree with them all. I would like to add the uniqueness of the chromed vents on the back of each seat and the little green dot on the side of the steering wheel hub. My car has a manual 4 spd transmission and I never had a complaint until I  drove a car with a five speed then a 6 speed. When ever I drive the car now I am always reaching for that elusive "5 th gear":-)
Still enjoying the ride after 43+ years

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Louiehenry

« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2013, 15:25:49 »
Oh my god right?!
Also, I have to say, the soft top is kind of a pain to secure in front :/

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2013, 15:45:30 »
What about your Pagoda being your Mistress and you never told your significant other about your love affair?  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BSygup1XI4

Right … now back to the topic … great thread let's keep it going :)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Louiehenry

« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2013, 16:31:39 »
That's a nice collection, I love my DBS, but I prefer my sl

Basil

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2014, 13:49:07 »
Let's not forget the wide gutter where we can put our delicate tools for high tech repairs

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2014, 15:29:26 »
Basil,

Speaking of "forgetting" ...

Let's never ever forget to leave any of the tools behind and then slam the hood down ... just ask Dan (Benz Dr.) he will describe the end result :)
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL