W113 Pagoda SL Group > W11x chassis cars

66 W111 Cpe Clutch

(1/1)

larryled:
A new problem, clutch pedal to the floor; no fluid in reservoir, leak location not yet detected.  Considering replacing the two hydraulic units and have them, bought over 30 years ago.  Installing them as is may be a gamble with seals in units that old.  Appreciate comments on this, thanks, LLLL

Charles 230SL:
hello Larry, I'd use the NOS master/slave units since they've got fresh bores and pistons, but I'd replace the seals.
After sitting for a few decades the rubber hardens and takes on the shape of the cylinders. The hardened seals can't flare out and seal properly under pressure.

I've never replaced a clutch master on a W111 but I imagine it's almost as cumbersome as a W113. If you use the NOS units as-is without replacing the seals, It may be necessary to remove the master (or slave) again in a few years.

ja17:
Knowing how to pressure bleed the system from below is a big help. You can use a pressure bleeder from below or the brake system by hooking up a tube to a front brake caliper. Be sure to replace the rubber brake hose. It becomes restricted just like brake hoses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version