Author Topic: Attachments  (Read 1321 times)

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
Attachments
« on: November 01, 2023, 19:15:03 »
Dirk,
How are you attaching files as attachments instead of them being imbedded as images in the message?  They always show up inside the message for me (which I think is better, anyway).

I don't remember removing any mental part, but I guess that's an option.  Hopefully after remove & replace, the hat still seals properly and does not lead to drips out of the canister.

I am always attaching the files the same way. I believe if it's a jpeg extension, it will show as an image in the message and if it is a pdf, it will be an attachment? Other forums, and I like that a lot, let you just copy and paste a screenshot into your message which makes it really easy and fast.
Correct me if I am wrong.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 19:45:04 by dirkbalter »
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Attachments
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 20:58:44 »
Interesting.  I didn't know the forum software did that with different attachment types.  But, that makes sense because a PDF will normally be many pages long.  That's a lot to put into the body of the message!!!!
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 11:41:36 »

I am always attaching the files the same way. I believe if it's a jpeg extension, it will show as an image in the message and if it is a pdf, it will be an attachment? Other forums, and I like that a lot, let you just copy and paste a screenshot into your message which makes it really easy and fast.
Correct me if I am wrong.

PDF's and other files do not show up in the messages. Pictures do.

We do not have that copy and paste functionality (also known as "Drag and Drop", and we never will) but uploading a screenshot is just as fast. And we have facilities for changing the rotation afterwards. See https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=31410.0

The sites that offer "Drag and Drop" that we are all getting used to (Facebook, Instagram) have a completely different target audience than we do. They are "image centric", i.e. you post one or a number of images, and limited text. Forum software is "content centric", i.e. you post content (formatted in different ways) and use pictures to explain. As an example: try and find a post on Facebook which you saw 3 months ago... Good luck!

So I know of no forum software that supports Drag and Drop in a similar manner, because ultimately you need to tell the forum where to display your picture. So the Drag and Drop just replaces your "Upload" button, pictures are still attachments.

When we started this site, many people were still using slower Internet connections and we had a smaller server budget. Therefore we limited the number of attachments to a post to 4, and limited the size. We still limit the size (to a normal size on a modern screen) but that is because I hate horizontal scrolling in a forum. And the detail is still pretty visible.

You can actually create an in-line picture (hosted elsewhere) using the "Insert Image"  BB-Code button. But I discourage it. Many image hosting services went bust, stopped operating or started charging money. ImageBucket, anyone? So look at some of the older posts, and you'll see dead links.

If you want full control over pictures and content... put it on the Technical Manual. Pictures uploaded there, or here as an Attachment, are on our own server and do not disappear. Hence you can still find old and useful content here...

Peter
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 11:56:08 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 16:36:18 »
We still limit the size (to a normal size on a modern screen) but that is because I hate horizontal scrolling in a forum.
I totally agree!  Even more horrible when reading forum threads on my phone, which I do quite a lot.

Hey, while we're talking about how the forum works, can we get an expanded set of emojis?
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 18:07:52 »
Peter,
First off, I am happy with the way our forum works.
That being said, I was talking about a windows feature  using the: windows / shift / s  keys. Its called "snip and sketch". It saves a selected computer screenshot to the clipboard, which than can be easily pasted into a return message.
(The German speaking Pagoda forum (for example) allows you to do that).
 :)
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 12:55:41 »
They use completely different set of forum software.... It would be a lot of work to convert to that to get in line copy and paste. So we'll be stuck with the attachments system...

Hey, while we're talking about how the forum works, can we get an expanded set of emojis?

Get me the emoji's and I'll see if I can add them...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 15:40:48 »
...a windows feature  using the: windows / shift / s  keys. Its called "snip and sketch". It saves a selected computer screenshot to the clipboard, which than can be easily pasted into a return message...

I have used this frequently here, but I'm on the MacOSX. CMD-Shift-4. Brings up a target cursor; choose/select upper left, hold and drag to lower right and let go. In a moment you have an excerpted screen shot (or "snip and sketch" as you say) in .png format which can then be attached here.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid