Author Topic: Multiple Cranking before Ignition  (Read 3915 times)

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
Re: Multiple Cranking before Ignition
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2023, 19:50:03 »
The thermo time switch isn't a relay, it's a thermal switch screwed into the block, on a pod, behind the fuel injection pump, have a look here for pictures, location and description

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Restricted/Engine-starting-aid-tour

I'm not sure which relay is which, but the cold start relay has the rose (pink) coloured wire connected to the coil from the TTS

The "round black can" is a separate 1 second timed relay that provides a feed to the CSV solenoid regardless of the temperature

February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

mistertj

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Satellite Beach
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2023, 20:36:40 »
Bob - Thank you. Now I know which is which on those. No pink wire here but I'm going to trace back from the cold start solenoid #31 and that will give me which relay is #19. On the round black can, I have alway had that work and give me a 1 second shot of fuel but that was not enough to start unless the engine was already warmed.

Thanks again.

Tom

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2023, 21:25:44 »
Ah, now you mention you have relay #19, you will also have a thermo switch, not to be confused with a thermo TIME switch, your car's wiring schematic is below (by the way these schematics are all in the technical manual), just search for "wiring"

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Restricted/ColorWiringDiagrams?action=download&upname=230sl_1.jpg

More details of this early cold start circuit are in the starting aid tour
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather

mistertj

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2023, 21:31:47 »
Bob - Thank you. The color diagram I have does not have a #19. The black and white does you not the colored. Thanks again.

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2023, 11:10:19 »
Mister dJ

The first photo on your post, which shown an element with two rose cable is the TTS.

On the other hand on the Relay arrangement that is next to the brake booster, ….

2. The cylindrical can style relay with only 3 prongs is the TIMED RELAY
3. Next to it is a relay with 5 prongs that one is for the wiper motor control, is calle WIPER RELAY
4. And finally the other two relays with 4 prongs each , you will have to disconnect the connector attached to them and look inside the cable colours to identify its function.  Both are the same kind of relay, so no matter if you mix later the connectors.
Compare cable colours against the MB wiring harness (230SL) and you will conclude what is what.

Best regards
Lp

mistertj

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2023, 11:17:13 »
Thank you...Lp. So, the colors of the wires in the diagram are the actual colors of the wires. Neat! I did not know that. That's awesome! I'm guessing then that I may not actually have a #19 relay. Will check that out.