Author Topic: Changing ashtray lid insert  (Read 6122 times)

John Betsch - "SADIE"

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, SOUTHOLD
Re: Changing ashtray lid insert
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2023, 15:16:52 »
Could the color of the ash tray insert be based on whether leather or tex interior?
JB; 1965 German market SL, Rot Met 571, Summary Code 213 Interior

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2023, 18:59:03 »
Could the color of the ash tray insert be based on whether leather or tex interior?

No, John.  :-X
This is not a primary question of leather versus MB-tex but only of the interior color code itself.
As Alfred mentioned earlier, only 230 SLs after 012467 had "colorful" lid inserts, all the ones before had only black.

The specific color of the padded insert was chosen in line with the interior list (Ausstattungs-Liste), which Alfred showed earlier.
The insert was always plastic liner, nothing else.

Achim
(former 113 ashtray collector)
Achim
(Germany)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2023, 01:07:46 »
Can someone help me out....
The ashtray has a lid, a chrome surround and a box. The thread above is about the lid going on the surround.
Am I to understand that the ("chrome") surround and (zinc finish) box are "one" item or are they separable. If so, how? I'm looking to keep the visible parts but change the box underneath...
Thanks
Hello James,
the "box" is spotwelded to the chrome surround. To get it them apart you can drill out the "spots". When you change the box and want use it again keep in mind to leave the two vertical spring steel strips in place to insert the box snugly into the wood box. Also the lid needs the spring steel tab that Shvegel manufactured.
For one mod I cut the bottom out and added a switch and USB port into the shell but did not separate the chrome surround from the box.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 01:19:05 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2023, 07:22:01 »
Thanks Alfred

Exactly what I was after. So if I was to do something similar to your usb sockets, i am looking at putting my cognac lid on a “replacement yet modified” box/surround, or doing surgery on the underside of my complete unit.

James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather