Author Topic: Electric Power Steering Pictures  (Read 3428 times)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Electric Power Steering Pictures
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2023, 19:56:32 »
When I reassembled the car during the restoration, I added a center under-dash console, rear stereo speakers, front and rear cameras wired to a monitor in the console, air conditioning with controls and vents in the console, cruise control with the switch pad in the console, a cold start valve manual push button and a circuit for independent driver/passenger courtesy lights on the under-dash cover near the hood release.
I would have just bought a newer car.  The quirky old simplicity of the Pagoda is what makes it fun.  But, to each their own!  I hope you're enjoying your modifications.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2023, 21:58:42 »
When I retired in 2001, I found that I missed doing automotive engineering so I restored a Ferrari 365 GT 2+2, then, when finished, discovered that it was worth too much to drive it.  A few hours of driving cost a few days of maintenance, repairs and detailing.  I sold it and started on the basket-case Pagoda.  This time I made it a really nice driver with all the modern features.  I followed Jim Villers' philosophy of making everything reversible.  I saved all the old parts. And yes, I love my AC, stereo, Cruise Control, and Cameras (to save the bumper chrome).
Tom Kizer.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 23:44:33 by Tomnistuff »
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2023, 13:53:18 »
Is there a problem with the standard power steering on our Pagodas that I don’t know about?

Last I checked an OEM rebuilt pump is less than $300. Plug and play. That’s less than an oil change on your daily driver new Mercedes at a dealership.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

MikeSimon

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, North Royalton
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2023, 17:27:02 »
I think this discussion was brought on because of the conversion of a manual steering car to power steering. I don't think that it would make sense to convert from hydraulic p/s to e-p/s - unless you want to convert the whole car to an EV.
The only problem you could have with the hydraulic pump is a shaft seal leak or a lack of performance due to contamination and a sticking flow control valve. When I had the engine out of my 280 in  1987 I still worked for Vickers at the time. I took the pump to work and asked the guy who ran the lab to "rework" it. After testing it, he refused to do anything other than putting a new shaft seal in.
1970/71 280SL Automatic
Sandy Beige
Parchment Leather
Power Steering
Automatic
Hardtop
Heated Tinted Rear Window
German specs
3rd owner

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2023, 23:54:34 »
I was going to try to price out the production system, but after realizing that I would have to pay not only shipping (out here to the boonies, mostly from Europe and the U.S.), then adding in the core charges, since mine is non-P/S. then adding the Quebec sales tax and VAT on internet purchases (another 15%), just that pump without a reservoir and a rebuilt P/S steering gear, the price was already well over $1,000 without installation.  Car parts are getting way too expensive.
Tom Kizer   
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)