Author Topic: Horseshoe chrome attachments  (Read 970 times)

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick
Horseshoe chrome attachments
« on: November 28, 2022, 01:52:32 »
As mentioned in one of my previous post, I am polishing/re chroming some of my chrome parts
When removing my horse shoe chrome, It appears like it was not attached properly.

Below is a link to the parts required
https://www.sls-hh-shop.de/main/en/mercedes-230-280sl-w113-/75-c-softtop-box-equipment/275351-p--297

Can someone send me a few images of their horseshoe from the underside so that I can see how the chrome is supposed to be mounted.
Also, any explanations /directions as to how to mount properly are welcome and appreciated.
Thanks to all!
Steven
1971 280sl
Red Metallic
Bamboo MB Tex

Pinder

• Gold
  • USA, NJ, Edison
Re: Horseshoe chrome attachments
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 14:32:57 »
Steven

the underside of the trim has a channel. In that channel you will feed the square head bolts.   then position those through the holes in the soft top deck lid cover.  For the larger nuts you put the rubber cup washers on then thread then on the bolts. The spring washers I think fit the small nuts. its easier to do with the lid taken off as I think  two of the small nuts are under or very close to the hinges.

Regards

Pinder
1970 280 SL Light Ivory DB 670. 4 Speed manual shift no AC Limited Slip Diff.

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Horseshoe chrome attachments
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 18:54:38 »
When I had to remove my horseshoe chrome trim to repair damage caused by the PO forgetting to open the soft top cover before starting to put down the top, I found that it was secured by 19 teeny-tiny nuts.  Some of the fasteners snapped off when trying to remove the nuts, but most came free with no issues.  The parts department at the M-B dealer across the street from where I was working at the time ordered me a replacement fastener kit consisting of 19 teeny-tiny square-headed brass bolts, lock washers and nuts.  There was one part number for the kit, which arrived the next day and was maybe $10 or so at the time (2004 or 2005). The bolts came in three lengths: one long one, and nearly equal numbers of medium length and short ones.  The longest one went in the center of the horseshoe, adjacent to the chrome bezel with the hole through which the center soft top locking peg goes when erecting the soft top.  The medium ones fan out in equal numbers for each side of the center fastener.  The remaining short ones fan around in equal numbers up the sides of the horseshoe towards each end.

I've checked through all my receipts but can't find the one with the part number for the fastener kit, sorry.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)