Author Topic: Aborted restoration  (Read 1716 times)

Frank

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, Delmar
Aborted restoration
« on: October 05, 2022, 16:19:49 »

Forgive me in advance for a long rambling post.  I need advice and believe this site and the dedicated pagoda aficionados here are the best, most honest place to obtain that wisdom.  I’ve been monitoring this site (and a predecessor) since I obtained my first home computer and dial up internet service in 1991.  I then tuned in over the years, with rapt interest, to mbebram’s heroics and  Andy Burns epic restoration adventure.
In 1986, thru contacts at the local MB dealership, I was able to purchase a less than gently used 1969 280SL four speed.  The car had been stored in a commercial building that was purchased by a regular customer of the dealership and was towed to the rear of their lot.  It sat there for at least six months before I convinced the owner to sell it.  The car was originally sold to an older woman who lived only a few miles from me.  She subsequently sold the car four years later to a gentleman in his early twenties.  The car spent the next successive years  traveling up and down the northeast coast and the registration sticker indicates the last time the car was on the road was 1979.  While accumulating 97k miles it appears the young owner seldom missed an opportunity to run into fixed objects.  When I towed the car away the left front corner was damaged  and the rest of the car had quite a bit of rust yet the interior was in good condition. While I still had connections at the dealership, I took advantage and ordered most of a new OEM body for the car.  Quarter panels, inner and outer rear wheel wells, frame rails and covers, front fenders, inner fenders, reinforcing struts and headlight bucket and bulb holder.  Life intervened with kids, house, changing jobs and even a return to school.  All the while the pagoda was kept safe and dry in a barn, a relative’s garage, my own garage then a carport built in part to keep the elements away.  Finally in 2004, I came across a shop that was starting out and they worked with me to repair the rotted rear frame members in front of the rear wheels.  The work seemed adequate so I went on to let them replace the new frame rails and continued on to outer wheel wells, quarter panels, truck floor and inner and outer rear panel.  In 2005 I dropped off my fuel injection pump and fuel pump to Hans at H&R in Long Island for a complete rebuild.  Life intervened again with kids in College, career demands and two house moves. Which brings us to the present day.  I am now retired, the car has been waiting and I’ve spent plenty of time disassembling, grinding, cleaning and assessing. The car is mostly complete but in addition to needing the front clip replaced all the mechanical and systems are in need of refurbishment after 40 years of hibernation.  The 2004 work was not great.  Gaps are poor and the welding suspect.  I never had any visions of the car being anything more than a fun driver and that was the premise of the 2005 work. Now it seems even achieving that is beyond my capabilities and resources. 
A few times in the past, I’ve inquired about selling to a few of the folks that advertise their interest in purchasing these cars.  The offers basically equal the cost of a few of the parts I have laying on a shelf.
So, my question is, what do you esteemed folks think.  Surely you’ve seen this numerous times.  Do I load all the parts in the car, sell it for a song and take a financial beating or part it out?  Rebuilt fuel injection pump and fuel pump, brand new (circa 1986) front fenders, inner fenders, support struts, inner and outer bumper mount, inner rear wheel wells, headlight holders all sitting on the shelf untouched.  The soft top frame is crusty but in good working order as is the hard top.  Theoretically the quarter panels might be removed as they still have the black OEM rust treatment.  As you all know, these parts are not cheap and eclipse the price of the car.  Or do you think the car with all the parts is worth more as a project package?  I would gladly list it or the parts in the “for sale” section here at a fair price for the benefit of the members.
I’ll greatly appreciate your thoughts?

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Aborted restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 16:50:54 »
woooow

I feel for you. Sorry you've ended up here but hopefully the journey you've been on not involving this car has had it's joy

The thing with parting it out is you get ALL the work of dismantling, wrapping, shipping and being nickel and dimed over the price of a widget (or fuel pump). And then being left with a pile of stuff no-one wants (you won't part out all of it!)

There are those with the romantic notion of taking on a complete project, despite the fact that the numbers don't add up (particularly if they are not able to do most of the work themselves). If you're lucky, someone will do that and may pay more than those that advertise they "buy in any condition"

I fear you're in for a financial beating either way.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Frank

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, Delmar
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 17:02:53 »
James, I’ve been blessed in many ways, just not quite enough to pay someone else to put this thing together.  As a young man I was sure I could pull off a DIY rehab.  With age comes wisdom….I’d hate to ruin thousands of dollars of new parts trying to do this myself. I agree that parting it would be a pain but it’s just an option to be considered.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 22:08:40 »
Frank, too bad that this happened over such a long time and that you are in it for so much and now have to bail.

Personally, I'd TRY and sell it as a package on one of the many auction or sale websites. Your goal of course is NOT only to recoup as much as you can, but also to simply be rid of it and all that it comes with. Unless you want to take the "part it out" path and if you think you've spent a lot of time and effort to date, you have not seen anything yet.

There are plenty of sites to try, be honest in your descriptions and content, and realistic in your pricing and it will move.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 22:22:00 »
Like James and Michael, i feel for you on coming to the decision that it is too much for you.

Parting out a car, packaging and shipping is a long and time consuming job and possiby not the best way to recover some of your money.  On the other hand selling it as a project, you may be pleasantly surprised how much you get with the way the prices have gone with these cars.

You will quite possibly get the sharks that lurk around trying to pick up cheap cars to then on sell for a quick profit and i would think this would be a bad way to sell the car and the least return.

As Michael said, put it as a project package on one of the auction sites and that will best establish the price it is worth and the best way to have the car sold and gone.

Good luck with the sale.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Frank

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, Delmar
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 00:02:34 »
I agree Michael, BTW, the first restoration I followed many years ago was yours.  I have such great  respect for the time, patience and knowledge needed to put one of these together much less a show ready example.
I’m not at all opposed to selling the whole thing as a package, I just don’t know how to price it.

Garry, I’ve followed the pricing on these cars for many years.  In the beginning I subscribed to SL market letter.  Of late BAT Auctions seem to be a good barometer with project 280s going from $20-30k. Of course the “project” cars are generally intact.  The comments for an auction on my car would be entertaining.
Is it ridiculous to think I can get mid to high teens for this thing?

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 00:30:59 »
Frank,

From the project cars that have been auction recently i would have thought mid teens as a minimum and quite possibly more.

I don’t think the fact that it is in pieces will be detrimental to the sale price and allows a prospective buyer get a better understanding  of what is needed so a plus rather than a negative.

Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Frank

• Junior Level
  • USA, NY, Delmar
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 01:37:59 »
A few more pics.  I also didn’t mention that other than needing carpet, the interior is in very good condition.  I really appreciate all your input.