Author Topic: Absolute Catastropy Today  (Read 4562 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Re: Absolute Catastropy Today
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2022, 19:29:18 »
Alex,

I know you will have a frame check done (since it was a T-Bone impact accident), before you proceed with repairs. I am attaching a good website that provides some pointers.

Here -----> https://www.impactautobody.com/how-do-i-know-if-my-car-frame-is-bent/

All the best with the repair steps.

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2022, 00:55:33 »
You should be ok, that’s three insurance companies working to cover the cost.
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2022, 19:47:23 »
Alex,
So sorry to hear about this, but of course, Tom being ok is great news.
Some of us complain about the value going up on these cars for various reasons, but this is one case where I believe it works in your favor.
The expectation for a quality re-build is supported by the value of the car. If it was a $12,000 car, you would not be able to get the same level of work done.
That car is special to you, special to community. I've really enjoyed seeing it in person. Fantastic interior and the stories of what lengths you went to, to satisfy yourself.
Take care.
Mark
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2022, 17:47:56 »
Dear Alex,

So sorry for your misfortune but also glad that Tom is doing okay.

The damage looks severe, but manageable. Of course, checking properly the impact of the body is most important;
everything else (door, fenders, rear axle, etc.) can be replaced pretty easily.

I recommend to talk to as many talented shops and friends here as possible - in order to find one shop which will be able to do the job properly.
Whatever will come up, this can be done.

Good luck and take care,
Achim
Achim
(Germany)

Merc_Girl

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, Godalming
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2022, 21:36:11 »
Not sure why your insurance should pay anything given the accident was not of your making? Perhaps the rules are different in the US?

I’m mindful that insurance companies may wish to right cars off if repair costs are high (seem to remember if cost to repair is approx 1/2 / 2/3 value of car?), then they offer a settlement but you have option to effectively pay the scrap value to retain the car. Then costs to put back on road are up to you and hopefully monies remaining from the compensation will pay for the repairs?
230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2022, 21:56:49 »
Not sure why your insurance should pay anything given the accident was not of your making? Perhaps the rules are different in the US?

Katie, we have 50 states here all with their own insurance rules--and rates. Some are vastly different than others. For example, in all but one state--Michigan--payments from your insurance for catastrophic injuries are "capped" at a certain amount, say $1,000,000. Michigan has no cap, and the rates are among the highest in the nation because of it.

We also have "no fault" insurance where YOUR insurance company pays for YOUR damages; keeps a lot of the courts and legal system free of these things. Some states have the no fault only for injury, others extend it to collision too.

When we moved from Michigan to North Carolina, our insurance rates on three cars (drivers) dropped about 60%. Insurance on the Pagoda remained mostly the same, but my stated amount has gone up with the value.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2022, 23:05:13 »
Katie, we have 50 states here all with their own insurance rules--and rates. Some are vastly different than others. For example, in all but one state--Michigan--payments from your insurance for catastrophic injuries are "capped" at a certain amount, say $1,000,000. Michigan has no cap, and the rates are among the highest in the nation because of it.

We also have "no fault" insurance where YOUR insurance company pays for YOUR damages; keeps a lot of the courts and legal system free of these things. Some states have the no fault only for injury, others extend it to collision too.

When we moved from Michigan to North Carolina, our insurance rates on three cars (drivers) dropped about 60%. Insurance on the Pagoda remained mostly the same, but my stated amount has gone up with the value.

Thanks Michael for the clarification, boy am I glad we live in simpler times in the UK, albeit I believe for the ‘no blame’ scenario (or what on a race track they refer to as a ‘racing incident’ 😉), the same is true on this side of the pond, ie your insurance company pays for your damage (happy to be corrected by fellow  ‘islanders’ if this is not the case)

However in Alex’s case, it was clearly not ‘his’ (although understand not driving at the time) fault as someone went into him when he was happily minding own business whilst driving on a main road (maybe I have misunderstood how the accident happened). I think there is something if someone is slightly less to blame then the other insurance company has to make a contribution as well. I remember many moons ago when my mother unfortunately hit a car that was turning right (ie turning across a road) just after a blind corner. As the driver of the other car had positioned their car close to the curb, rather than close to the centre line, insurance found them partly to blame for the accident and also they had the ability to stop nearer to the apex of the bend that would enable other drivers to be able to see they were stationary, whilst the other driver would still have sufficient visibility to see when it was safe to turn.

I my simple mind, I cannot see the logic where some idiot can drive into your car, and there was no fault on your part, that you have to contribute to the costs! The world has gone mad!!
230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2022, 11:02:28 »
However in Alex’s case, it was clearly not ‘his’ (although understand not driving at the time) fault as someone went into him when he was happily minding own business whilst driving on a main road (maybe I have misunderstood how the accident happened)...I my simple mind, I cannot see the logic where some idiot can drive into your car, and there was no fault on your part, that you have to contribute to the costs! The world has gone mad!!

Insurance is one of the reasons why the world has gone a bit bonkers. In this particular case of Alex's car, it's only started to become settled. There's a lot more work to do and the insurance companies will be speaking on this.

There's a concept of insurance in the USA called subrogation. I'm sure some of our members in the UK can fill us in on whatever it is similar in UK. In a subrogation case/claim, one insurance company (NOT the one really responsible) pays the claim on behalf of its insured client. THEN they go after the "at fault" party's insurance company. This generally happens behind the scenes and after the claim has been paid, and the injured car/party has been "made whole" and paid off.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Merc_Girl

• Gold
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2022, 17:54:17 »
Insurance is one of the reasons why the world has gone a bit bonkers. In this particular case of Alex's car, it's only started to become settled. There's a lot more work to do and the insurance companies will be speaking on this.

There's a concept of insurance in the USA called subrogation. I'm sure some of our members in the UK can fill us in on whatever it is similar in UK. In a subrogation case/claim, one insurance company (NOT the one really responsible) pays the claim on behalf of its insured client. THEN they go after the "at fault" party's insurance company. This generally happens behind the scenes and after the claim has been paid, and the injured car/party has been "made whole" and paid off.

Yes, I think we have the same system here, but wouldn’t know the ‘official’ terminology as as you mention, it all goes on behind the scenes
230SL