Author Topic: Unable to Unlock Door...until I rolled up the window!  (Read 1527 times)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Doesn't make sense to me. I was unable to unlock the passenger door either from the inside or the outside with a key. The inside locking/unlocking mechanism wouldn't budge. From the outside, I could turn the key, but pushing in the button did not unlock the door.
I was ready to give up for the day and rolled up the window. For whatever reason, I tried again from the inside and it easily unlocked! Re-tried locking and unlocking and opening/closing the door with the window up and no problem. The window is not rubbing or catching while rolling up or down. Somehow I think it has something to do with how the door and locking mechanism is affected by the pressure of the window interacting with the window seals, if that's possible. The hardtop is on.
Will not roll down the window until I hopefully figure this out.Where to look?
Thanks.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
Re: Unable to Unlock Door...until I rolled up the window!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 08:38:45 »
Take the inside door panel off. I would think it’d be pretty easy to diagnose from there.
1970 280 SL

ChrisInNashville

• Silver
  • USA, TN, Nashville
Re: Unable to Unlock Door...until I rolled up the window!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 07:08:18 »
Did you figure it out?  The panel is easy to remove…once you remove a lot of screws…
Is the window possibly off track and out of line when rolled down inside the door?  That could interfere with some of cross bars that guide the locking mechanism…
‘69 280 SL
‘24 GLE450e
Tennessee, USA