Author Topic: Door sound proofing  (Read 3384 times)

Brennie

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, London
Re: Door sound proofing
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2022, 12:16:49 »
Such sage advice.. again, I thank you…

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2022, 13:09:55 »
If you are not experiencing any rattles when driving or when closing the doors - that is fine. But if you do and you want to get rid of them (nothing irritates me more!), then a detailed review of listed items will help.

The whiskers mentioned are important, as written by johnk - I forgot to mention them.

If you happen to be looking at the slides - those orange washers are important there. I think the original ones are not available, but replacements are there.

Sources of rattling I had:
- the big lifter spring
- the smaller door hinge spring
- the upper front little chrome piece
- the slides
- the lock rods (I did not have the plastic sleeves that go in them)

The reasons for not being able to close the window from inside:
- slack in shifters
- backside hard or soft top seal not fitting - required glass adjustment then the seal adjustment in soft top (I have never had an issue of the front seal not fitting, which is stated as the common cause, it was the rear seal in my case)
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2022, 15:23:38 »
You are fortunate that you have an original set of whisker seal strips. Comparing my worn originals to the new MB pieces (they are NLA BTW), the new ones are too wide and tall. Because of the extra thickness, it can be too tight on the glass making the operation stiff. Plus the construction is not good. Very easy to separate the metal strip from the fuzzy seal part. Then tar is all over the place. What a mess.

I found these which are better construction although a bit thinner.  https://www.mbclassics.de/weatherstrips-side-window-1m- They may not "seal" quite as well as the originals.

Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2022, 21:41:22 »
Slightly off topic, but I recently had my door panels removed to tighten up all the window winder components, reattach a window guide and add the sound deadener panels inside.
What impressed me was the actual door frames that MB used. They are cast aluminum, not punched sheet metal and precision made for sure. Just another sign of MB quality design and engineering that is hidden from view.

jz   
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2022, 22:48:58 »
That is correct and not sure how long they kept doing that after the 60s. One one the reasons that when the door shuts, it sounds so solid. My 70 Plymouth will never have such a solid sound because it has the stamped door frame that you speak of.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6