Author Topic: Urethane suspension bushings - NOW READY!  (Read 15007 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: Urethane suspension bushings - NOW READY!
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2023, 16:26:18 »
Thanks for the feedback! I have not done the rear sway bar on the W109, so good to hear it worked. The front sway bar benefits are well known.

Installing the bushings for the axle trailing arms for the W109 are not too bad. In fact, the rear trailing arm urethane bushing is a different design from the factory. It is a urethane Heim joint design and far superior.

If you need more bushing lubricant, you can get it many places. It is Prothane Super Grease and is Teflon based. It is imperative you use this type of lubricant for the bushings. Mineral based grease will degrade the urethane slowly over time. This is a fantastic lubricant and what I use. It is just more economical for me to buy in bulk and repackage. No secrets here.

On all models, the sway bar is a quick way to improve the handling and a great place to start.

Wallace   
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2024, 13:03:03 »
So, Pedro and I have started (mostly Pedro) the undercarriage of the SL.  This thread is pretty dormant but maybe this will revive it.  Teardown and cleanup have been relatively uneventful.  We're still assessing everything for the "while we're in there" decisions and obtaining parts.  Seats are being rebuilt and other changes either in-process or being contemplated.  I'll try and be diligent about posting the details and results.    RJ

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2024, 15:49:37 »
Russell,

Good luck on the project! Looking forward to your posts.

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

BOTIGER1970

• Junior Level
  • USA, NC, Troutman
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2024, 00:16:10 »
Russell,
I hope all is well.  Are you doing the work on the 230SL at the house?  I would like to stop by and see what you are doing, if possible.  My 280SL is currently getting painted.  I also have a couple of questions for Pedro?
Thanks,
Mark Spencer

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2024, 02:16:58 »
Is it me, or is this thread about something completely different than a specific restoration?
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2024, 16:51:14 »
Mark,

You're welcome to see the car, but I must let Pedro approve the invitation since it's at his house.

Cees,

I think the answer to your question is a little of both so there are 2 considerations.  1.) there seems to be a paucity of feedback on the urethane bushing set so I thought I would provide that in this thead dedicated to those parts.  2.) I'm not really interested in documentinog a suspension/drivetrain "restoration" thread but I thought some of the "while we're in there" posts might be of interest to those who were contemplating the urethane upgrade and vice versa. 

I will leave the subject to the viewers.  Those who wish the thread to be a bit more general but not expansive please let us know.  Since those bushings are only 1 part of any ride and handling upgrade or should be - that's why I expanded..

rj