Author Topic: Overheating and Remedy  (Read 6704 times)

FGN59

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • France, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, Marseille
Re: Overheating and Remedy
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2020, 17:48:11 »
Just to be a little bit contrarian, I (seem to) have the opposite issue: except in unusual circumstances (which would probably cause the overheating of a number of your cars, for those who have such a problem), the thermometer on my late 1968, 4-speed manual 280SL stays around 70ºC, sometimes reaching 80ºC after a good run if the car then idles for a bit, before returning to around 70º.

The engine has been completely overhauled after a high regime incident in which a piston and rod where damaged (block and head, including all parts thereof were checked and replaced if necessary, resurfacing, etc.), radiator recored, water pump and thermostat changed.

I have checked several times the temperature of the various accessible parts of the engine with an infrared gun (radiator in and out pipes, water pump in and out pipes, head and block in various locations (left and right side, top and bottom, at different cylinders), heater pipes, pipe to air intake box, etc.) during warmups and after runs, and always found it to be around 85-90ºC (depending on location and after warmup obviously), sometimes 95ºC at the entry to the water pump and near cylinder 6 after a good run. Should we conclude that the cooling system, when everything is in good working order, is almost flawless? No AC to interfere with the normal engine cooling in the engine bay. Where I live is never stifling hot (maybe 35ºC for a few days in late July at midday), very low humidity (continental Mediterranean climate, 500m altitude), and traffic jams are the subject of stories told to unruly children to make them behave or else... 

So, in a nutshell, nothing wrong (I think) except maybe for the display in the car. I nevertheless hate to think about this car being used in Poland, Germany, Canada...

Having said that, in case I wanted to fix the display, is the opinion of our distinguished experts on this forum that the problem (if there is a problem) is to be found in the gas/tube or in the gauge itself (I believe the two are inseparable?), is there a tweak (accessible to an amateur like me) on the gauge itself that is used to correct its reading?

Does anyone have a similar experience with the actual performance of the cooling system in their car?

For those who have yet more patience reading about this, I had a somewhat similar issue with my previous old timer, a 1962 JaguarMk2, after I had the original radiator replaced by a more efficient aluminum one, made by ... Mercedes, of all companies (or at least designed by them or for them). The engine would never get warm enough except in exceptional circumstances, which would probably cause other cars to overheat. In that case though, the gauge was displaying the correct temperature, which was really too low. I changed the thermostat twice, nothing would do. In the end I had to restrict the airflow through the radiator to make it less effective! The world on its head, as we say in French (Le monde à l’envers).

For those of you in the Northern hemisphere, keep warm (and safe), in spite of my stories. For all others, keep cool (and safe too)!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 22:15:21 by FGN59 »
François

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser SW HDJ80 4.2L diesel
sold:
1969 280SL US specs, 4-speed manual, beige-grey (726H), parchment leather
1962 Jaguar MK2 3.8L (4.2L XJ6 engine), black, tan leather interior
1968 Peugeot 204 roadster, white, black interior
1955 Massey Ferguson TEF20 diesel tractor 😁

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2020, 10:43:21 »
Is it possible to find this document already in the technical manual ?
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2020, 02:08:06 »
As I recall, Dan Caron (Dr. Benz) has always indicated that the ENGINE OIL carries a lot of the cooling load. I don't doubt him for one second.
Some, but not all of our cars have oil coolers, a mini-radiator on the side of the regular radiator.

I have said that which is why you should check your oil level in hot weather every time you go for a drive longer than an hour or more. I check my oil level almost every time I take my car out. A low oil level will defiantly increase cooling temp. 
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

wayne R

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 11:53:18 »
Hello all,sorry , have not been on forum for awhile,but when i seen this ,wanted to let owners know about
another wonderful coolant product, that has been used for years now,from owners of Buick Club Of America,
reason is on ,mainly 1936 to 1941,Buicks grill design on these particular models was fairly restricted,and because of
the long straight eight design  engine  ,with the narrower design radiator at front, could in really hot areas ,did cause
overheating alot.
So many use  a coolant  called ---Evans waterless engine coolant--,i have never used it ,but some of my best  friends in US
still use it today in there cars,and i dont have any association with the product, but i know it works.
I do know its expensive, but lasts life of the car, so best to go online and read about it ,better than me talking about it,
Just in case it helps owners here,. regards .

teahead

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, WA, Des Moines
  • aka "Rob"
1970 280SL auto, AC - aka "Edelweiss"