Author Topic: New fuel injectors failed  (Read 5436 times)

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
Re: New fuel injectors failed
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2022, 21:27:37 »
I bought a diesel injector tester on eBay from India a few years ago to test my injectors. I also bought a new set of injectors and I think 3 had terrible spray patterns. I exchanged them but never tested the new ones.

There is a difference between a diesel spray pattern and a gasoline pattern I imagine though probably not that much difference.

Pawell I think a leaky injector would cause a lean burn because the fuel would not vaporize as well thus not burn as well. Now if the injectors leaked and the engine was burning lean the owner would enrich the mixture to compensate. When good injectors are put in all of a sudden the engine would be running super rich.

The testers sell for less than $100 on eBay. I might buy another to test my damn brake calipers which are still causing me problems with rebuild kits.
1970 280 SL

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2022, 09:58:10 »
In my case I have been refunded for the defective injectors. But I have been told that the r2 injectors are lower quality than the r1.
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2022, 20:58:20 »
Interesting.  I wonder what the difference between the R1 and R2 is other than quality.  I’ll have to check which ones mine are.
1970 280 SL

mauro12

• Gold
  • Italy, Sicily, Messina
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2022, 21:05:03 »
The r1 injectors are nla unfortunately. Some people say that the r2 are not as good as the r1 . After having spent 800€ for a new set of r2 the result was horrible . Probably they were defective , for this reason they gave me money back , but I don’t have the courage anymore to try and buy a new set again . My r1 are good but they suffer from a little low opening pressure . This condition affect the performance but not too much .
Mauro Pisani
250sl 1967 5speed zf manual

MarkCan

• Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Mississauga
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2022, 17:58:16 »
The r1 injectors are nla unfortunately. Some people say that the r2 are not as good as the r1 .

I had a chance to test both. I would agree that r1’s have better/wider spray pattern. That’s not to say that gen. 2 are bad. Just different. We shall be happy that they are still available.
Anyway, when testing I found that not all suggested test fluids perform equally well. Diesel for example “failed” most of the injectors on 2nd and 3rd round yet on the initial test the spray and pattern where somewhat ok. There was a specific test oil that did not score well in my book either. I had best success with diesel purge. Probably because of it’s cleaning quality’s. I was able to reproduce the results with gasoline every time after.
Mind you, those tests had to be performed outside.

Kevkeller

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Honolulu
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2022, 22:07:13 »
Good to know regarding the different fluids. Thank you for sharing.
1970 280 SL