Author Topic: W111 rear window disassembly  (Read 7888 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: W111 rear window disassembly
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2023, 18:35:55 »
I would have to look at the part number, but pretty’s sure that is on your car. I am not at the place where I have access to the part numbers or my coupe at the moment. If it is what I think it is, it fits on the rear door jamb and specifically where the front of the qtr glass goes through a slot. I think this piece seals that slot. When you take the whole mess apart, you will see it.

I will go back and look at my coupe tonight and see if it jogs my memory any better.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2023, 13:14:30 »
If this is part number #111 673 51 (52) 98, then yes, that is a seal for the qtr window. I fits just behind the the chrome plate on the upper rear door jam.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

dunc1

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Los Angeles
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2023, 17:32:03 »
Thank you.
I purchased one and will see if I can figure it out, when it arrives.
I had a pretty good look around the cavity, with the window out and didn't notice it.
I thought it might sit below the window and act as a cushion when the window was down but will inspect around the chrome plate towards the front of the rear window - In the parts diagram it shows it behind the window, so I was paying more attention there. It does appear to have a very distinct profile, so that should help. Is it pressure fit, or glued ?
Will keep you posted.
Thanks,
Duncan

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2023, 21:29:41 »
The down stop cushion for the qtr window is attached to the large guide plate at the bottom. It is an "L" shaped rubber piece.

I just looked at my car. It has been a few years since I took the rubber seal off, so it isn't 100% clear. I do have the chrome plate off at the moment as well as the seal. I recall the rubber piece  being glued or maybe just stuck to the plate over time. It was easy to peel it off the back of the chrome plate. The chrome plate basically covers the slot where the qtr window comes through at the rear door jam when it is all the way up. The fuzzy vertical strip on the glass is right there at the slot. I think the rubber piece is held on by the chrome plate. The rubber make a seal and the plate holds it on and looks nice. 

How it is oriented I just do not remember but being that there is a left and right, shouldn't be too hard to figure it out. Let me know if you need a picture, but if you have the chrome plate, I bet you see what I am talking about.

BTW, the parts in the drawings aren't always positioned exactly how they are installed. Most of the time yes, but in this case no. Makes it fun to figure out which part you need.

Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

dunc1

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Los Angeles
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2023, 23:25:00 »
I figured it out with a few Tetris attempts.
Both pieces were missing on my car.
I also discovered that the tab which holds the seal on the backside of the chrome plate was broken for the right side of car.
Bummer.
Might glue the seal in or ?

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2023, 14:39:19 »
Yay! I forgot about the clip on the backside. My chrome pieces are freshly plated and have them squirreled away. Was hoping not to get them out.

Yes, a good weatherstrip adhesive should hold it. Wurth makes a REALLY good one by the way. Better than the 3M adhesives.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

dunc1

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Los Angeles
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2023, 06:55:10 »
Hello again.
I've been making some slow progress and have fixed the window rollers & guides and the window goes up and down with a nice speed now.
Motor has new coupling and fresh grease in the gears.

I'm at the phase of putting the weatherstrip felts in and discovered these slots, that seem to accommodate felt clips that I had bought from Authentic classics, listed as parts for the w111. They seem to fit the slots well and hold the felt nicely against the glass. However, it does leave a gap between the outside of the felt strip and the body panel. I am not sure if they are intended to sit down in the slot, or top of body panel, above the slot ?.
I know you have screwed yours in place, but is this how they left the factory ? .

The gap I have with the clips, seems like too easy of an entry for water. I know the 3 drain holes at the bottom of the cavity behind the chrome lower sill cover, should let the water flow out, but all the window riser mechanisms can get wet too.
What do you think ?
I hope the attached photos make sense of what I've discovered and whether to pursue using the clips ?

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2023, 15:29:04 »
I can't say I remember the slots. I guess I saw the screws holding the felt and just used those. No clips were to be found. I am 99% sure these felts were held down by screws at the factory. The front door felts are the same. Given you have the screws as well and are the same type I had, I would say that is original for your car and mine.

I am familiar with those clips. I used them on my Ponton coupe and I believe they also fit the W113. They are designed to clip on a separate rail though. The gap left by the clips is in no way correct. I barely had enough room between the inner and outer felts for the glass. That much of a gap would have binded the glass in the felts.   

Keep in mind, some water will always get down in the panel as it does in the front door. The felts aid in this but are not a water seal. You just have to waterproof any exposed electrical and use the watershield for the door panel.     

Maybe the clips fit the sedans (W111 or W108) or some models of the coupe/cab, not sure. Would be interesting to hear from other W111 owners that have run across this job and see what they had.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe

dunc1

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Los Angeles
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2023, 18:13:42 »
Those slots seem so purposeful and sized for the clips, along the outer panel and inner rail.  The outer felts can be removed/installed with the glass in place with the clips. The inner rail can be moved further in/out, if the seals are too close, as there are slots in the screw holes allowing for adjustment.
I might try the outer clips on top of the metal, above the slot and that should bring the felt closer to the body and make the "gap" smaller.
I will continue to see how the doors look.
Another 3.5 coupe at my mechanics has clips over the metal lip of their door and rear window opening holding the felts, but smaller clips and not in the slots - very confusing.
As my car ( and the 3.5) received a re-paint at some point, I can imagine these felts being re-installed by painter how they saw fit.
The gap does appear too large, so will keep noodling and I will definitely make sure seals and vapor barriers are up to the job.
Thank you for all your advice. We

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2023, 21:08:29 »
Pretty sure my felt strips were original and had rust on the screws. maybe the paint shops switch to the clips for ease. Not sure? Once those clips are in, they bite pretty hard and are not easy to get out. The front door glass requires the felt strips to be removed before the glass comes out.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe