Author Topic: Injectors Testing  (Read 4854 times)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Injectors Testing
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2019, 19:23:48 »
I have just tested the 3000km old injectors I had in the car. I have 2 good ones out of 6. I think I understand now why I had 4 cylinders more rich than the other 2. Those 2 had good injectors.

I will now go through the steps:
1. Air blow after carb cleaner
2. Carb cleaner soaking overnight
3. Ultrasonic cleaning
4. Air blow
5. Carb cleaner flush on the tester
Test and if not good
6. Backflush air and carb cleaner

I think that backflush is dangerous as you have to open the injector (I made a tool as on the picture) and this is when you can damage it completely. On the other hand, as I understand how an injector is built, back flush is only to remove dirt from above the filter mesh, but this you probably can also do via air blow. If injector is dirty/stuck because of dirt in the end chamber, back flush will not help.

I think odds for success are small, I will end up buying 4 new injectors, hoping they are ok.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 19:50:22 by Pawel66 »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 00:23:47 »
I think odds for success are small, I will end up buying 4 new injectors, hoping they are ok.

That's what Hans (H & R injection ) told me years ago 🤣 Like you, I tried to clean my injectors.  Some I made worse🤣  I ended up buying 6 more. 🤣🤣🤣

1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 08:12:35 »
Yes, thank you!
I noted the point from Hans you made earlier - I would have thought that for a professional, like Hans, this is certainly absolutely true and I would do the same if I were him (just go for the new one). For me: I invested $80 in the tester to see if I have good injectors or not - which is the most important thing and it is already a win. I can also help Pagoda friends around to test their injectors, which is a win too.

Now for the price of carb cleaner and some time I can play with some of the injectors I have to see if I can save any - even one saved will be an additional win. And, as you say, I realize odds are low.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Pawel66

• Platinum
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2019, 13:05:42 »
Ok, I managed to:

1. Recover 3 of the 4 injectors I removed from the engine and the new one I had from the box that did not work - after step 2 and a lot of flushing.
2. Recover one more of the 4 I removed from engine - after step 5.

The old one I had I did not recover.

So I recovered all 4 I had in engine and the new one that squirted, not sprayed. It still sprays at 275PSI, but sprays and sounds nice. The rest are spraying between 250 and 260 PSI.

But:

I am pretty sure I was able to recover those 5 injectors only because they were relatively new. I think they got stuck because of rare driving (those removed from the engine).

These cars were built to run.
Pawel

W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class