Author Topic: Troubleshooting Clock  (Read 2297 times)

tarheel

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, NJ, MULLICA HILL
Troubleshooting Clock
« on: November 07, 2019, 00:19:09 »
Hello:
The clock in my 1969 280SL is not running.
All other gauges in instrument panel are working.
I have read the Wiki section on the clock.
Just wondering if the issue is truly with the clock, or could it be the clock is not being energized/powered? Can I solate the power cable/wire by viewing the engine bay area/

How can I determine if clock is getting power or not? 

If I do need to remove, how do I take the glove box out as the Wiki instructions say to remove glove box?

Any guidance very much appreciated

James

Rothko

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • USA, FL, Palm Beach
Re: Troubleshooting Clock
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 16:07:37 »
I'm interested in any responses as well.  My clock also doesn't work.  It's a low priority item, so I haven't gotten around to trying to get it fixed.

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 17:28:01 »
check fuse number 1 in the fuse box within the engine compartment.  this should have "power all the time"

You can also check if other "power all the time" items are working such as interior light.  If power and fuse is okay ---

Glove box removal - pretty straight forward.  see tech manual for more details but remove screws from inside glove box.   Be careful with "forks & spring" on side of glove box.   

Remove clock - thumb screws and you can check if you have power.  If not, see many threads on do it yourself clock repair or send to several repair houses. 

link that will help:

glove box removal -   https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Interior/Glovebox

https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=331.msg1277#msg1277

This one you must have seen, but just in case:   https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Clock

some folks within this group did amazing work in putting all this into the tech manual !   
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

mbpaul

• Senior
  • USA, NM, Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 21:06:35 »
More than likely, your clock problem is a "fuse" that has burned out in the clock.  If you have a soldering iron and know how to use it, it is any easy fix and the cost should be under $5.  There is an article by James Mahaffey on the MBCA.org forum that describes how to fix it.  Hopefully you can access this forum but you might have to be an MBCA member to do that.  If you can, go to MBCA.org.  Then click on "Forums" under Community at the top of the page.  Then search of VDO.  Go to post "VDO Clock Question For W108/109" and at the thrid reply by Jon Agne, click on "Clock Repair 1" and "Clock Repair 2" to see the article and the pictures associated with it.

Mr. Mahaffey calls out for a certain diode but most any small diode will work.  Most on-line places want to sell you packs of 10, 20 or more of the parts involved.  Since Radio Shack is not around now, ask one of you electronics friends for where too buy them.

I fixed mine a few years ago using this method and it is still working. 

If you have trouble accessing the article, give me a PM and I will try to copy and send to you.

SEB

• Silver
  • Germany, Berlin, Berlin
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 08:02:46 »
Hello
I have similar problems with my clock. If you can send me please the copy of this article I will be very thankfull.
Sebastian
Sebastian
1967 250 SL, 4 Speed, Euro spec, Tunis beige (462H),

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 08:37:08 »
Have you not looked in the Technical Manual, It’s all there.

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Clock
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric