Author Topic: WANTED: Unrestored W113 250 or 280SL  (Read 3928 times)

Raoul

WANTED: Unrestored W113 250 or 280SL
« on: May 22, 2019, 10:52:43 »
Hello all W113 enthusiasts,

My name is Raoul. I am Dutch, but living in Spain. I am 53 years old and restoring Mercedes cars since I was 18. Stll have my fathers first Benz he bought when I was 9 years old. I drive a fully restored W114 coupe as a daily driver. I am not restoring cars as a business. I only restore for my private use.

I am looking for a new project and wanted to restore a Pagoda all my life. The thing is however, that since Wayne Carini sold a W113 in prestine condition at auction for over $ 200.000,- a couple of years ago, almost everybody who sells a pagoda thinks that his/her car is also a museum piece, and prices go out of the roof. This, together with the very high priced and difficult to find parts, makes restoring these cars for a hobby almost impossible.

Anyway, I am looking for an unrestored 250 or 280SL W113 to rescue for a reasonable (realistic) price. I have no problems with a lot of welding and bodywork. If you have something, please contact me at info@innonautic.nl.

Best regards,

Raoul

Peter

• Silver
  • Netherlands, North Brabant, Helmond
Re: WANTED: Unrestored W113 250 or 280SL
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 12:19:07 »
Hi Raoul,

You can have a look at  http://www.geevers.nl/en
thy have a lot more in stock then show on the website and also pagode which never had a restoration, but are in great need of one.

Success.

Raoul

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 13:08:51 »
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. I know this company and even have been there of course. High prices. I do understand, because it is a business and they have to make money on the cars. A lot of USA import. I would prefer a European car. Also I would prefer buying a car directly from someone who has given up on maintenance, who wants the car to have a second life. A little more passion, little less money. 

But thanks anyway

Raoul

Chris_ATL

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 13:16:49 »
Not sure how a random sale plays into this.. Pagodas have been ticking up in price for years as are most quality classics, it's simply a supply and demand thing, and the cost of parts.

If you look on www.Bringatrailer.com you can see what market prices are in the USA at least and get a good idea for the condition and work expected... It seems the floor is around $15 to $20k for a rolling wreck with a valid VIN. However most of those will already have had some kind of restoration, as you'd expect from a 50 year old car. While 40k eur might be high, as on the link above, it's not unrealistic
An un-restored one will naturally attract a bigger price tag.

But as always,  a cheap classic is an expensive one.

hauser

lpeterssen

• Vendor
  • Gold
  • USA, FL, Miami
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 22:54:11 »
Dear Raoul

I have a mercedes w112-300se coupe unfinished restoration that I will sell.  The car has been stripped down to metal, damaged panels have been replaced, all the floors have been made by a local artist, and has been perfectly painted in its original colour.  It is a light metallic blue.  Car has all the glasses, has been assembled but no finished engine at the moment. Electrical system has been fully refurbished by myself (mint and perfect). Car has sunroof manual type. Have all the documentation including the data card which confirms the colour scheme used. All chrome parts are present. Rubber seals on front and rear windshield replaced. Door rubber seals new as well. Rubber seal that goes from pilar “a” to pilar “c” is old and need replacing.  All windows roll up and down perfectly, that took some time. New windshield. PM me if interested.

Regard
L.peterssen

Taleb

• Senior
  • USA, NY, SPRINGFIELD GARDENS
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 09:53:12 »
Raul ,
The pagoda soon it will become the blue chip collectible cars so the price it’s growing higher every year . I was in same situation like you , in 2014 I found 280sl pagoda for 30000$  and I thought it was expensive, in 2017 I bought the same car for  52000$ And today worth 75000$ .

Don’t wait since you will restore it with your hand then you save at least 50% of the restoration cost .

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 16:14:44 »
hello Raul:
I am 87 years old and have had this 1969 280 SL for decades. It is unrestored but has been repainted using clearcoat except the air intake and the lid of the convertible top which have never been repainted. Strange but true. California delivery and I have always avoided wet roads. Therefore no rust. 3.27 tear axle, 09 cam. original pistons, wear measured .008 in, no oil use yet but leaks via rear seal after driving. Auto x-mission also leaks at front seal. total leakage about 1/4 teaspoon in about 14 days, I wipe it up with a napkin. Nice hardtop, also repainted with clearcoat. has chrome rails. Stand and hoist for hardtop. the rear axle does not leak because of an expansion tank. There is evidence that the left front fender was replaced. good repair but tack welded on the edge of the lips, not spot welded. I made a spot welding clamp to reach but found that I must clear out the engine bay to duplicate the factory work. The 09 cam gives higher valve lift and longer openings, much more torque at  lower rpm. It is the original German cam but does not meet US emissions. All the special tools, many spare parts, another complete engine bored 1st oversize, but not broken in. with tested injection pump. Another gear box, (Austausch labeled) with riveted torque converter. Welded one in my car. Workshop Manuals, some in German, Data card, owners booklet in English.  I'll sell you everything and clean out my garage. Your price only $160,000 US  Your check must clear before I sign the title. Bullion coins also accepted, but only Swiss, Canadian or US. No waiting then to sign title. The best way is for you to open an account with the same bank where I have one and transfer funds, it is instantaneous. The car presents like new.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA