Author Topic: cold mixture adjustment for 2 plunger 220SE  (Read 12010 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: cold mixture adjustment for 2 plunger 220SE
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 01:53:38 »
Dr. Benz,
You are right. I just called it magic because that is about the extent of my knowledge.

Peter,
I used my thumbnail to clean the injectors believe it or not. I have a stout thumbnail, and kept that way for purposes such as this. You use the nail to pull out the spring loaded pintle in the center and work your nail around the part that seats to the rest of the injector. You need something thin and strong and a fingernail is just about right. It may take several tries if there is some build up. Keep in mind that a really bad injector will never correct itself. It has to do with the spring, pintle condition and the seat.

I have a few NOS injectors and the difference between them and a "cleaned" injectors is staggering. I sure wish they would make a run of these damned things so people with 220SE motors can have one less worry. 
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: cold mixture adjustment for 2 plunger 220SE
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 06:17:50 »
Dr. Benz,
You are right. I just called it magic because that is about the extent of my knowledge.

Peter,
I used my thumbnail to clean the injectors believe it or not. I have a stout thumbnail, and kept that way for purposes such as this. You use the nail to pull out the spring loaded pintle in the center and work your nail around the part that seats to the rest of the injector. You need something thin and strong and a fingernail is just about right. It may take several tries if there is some build up. Keep in mind that a really bad injector will never correct itself. It has to do with the spring, pintle condition and the seat.

I have a few NOS injectors and the difference between them and a "cleaned" injectors is staggering. I sure wish they would make a run of these damned things so people with 220SE motors can have one less worry.

MB hasn't made those injectors in years and it's actually just the tip of it that goes bad. That portion can be unscrewed after the shield is removed. I have lots of NOS 300SE injectors that I wish were 220SE injectors and if MB did re-issue some new ones they would be a fortune like everything else they call '' classic. '' 
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC