W113 Pagoda SL Group > Commercial Advertising

1969 LHD 280SL FOR SALE

(1/3) > >>

stickandrudderman:
I don't very often advertise cars for sale as few can come with my integrity attached but a customer has asked me to find a new home for this car.
This is an exception as we've known the car since the owner imported it and have done way to much work to be able to list it all here.
suffice to say that you will find it very hard to find a better one.
The only room for improvement is the black MB tex has a couple of minor tears but obviously we would be happy to assist a new owner with whatever suits their requirements.
Based on some of the exorbitant prices currently being asked here in the UK I believe that £125000 is a fair asking price.

The engine detailing was discussed here:
https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=24404.msg174538#msg174538

Mike Hughes:
"F" reg:  Is it a '68, or a '69 registered in '68?  (And how does one know for sure?)

JamesL:
Mike,
The joy of it is that our registration letters used to change August 1st, so chances are, it’s what you’d call an MY69 car as most “Fs” will have been made after the summer shutdown and so likely include any model updates, but as we know, MB didn’t suddenly introduce updates as soon as everyone was back from their vacations

The only sure way to tell would be the VIN, but the whole MY thing is not an issue over here. It’ll either be a 68 or 69F, just as my car is a (Jan) 70H, though made during Oct69. While I know the birth month, it’ll always be considered here as a Jan70 car based on 1st registration.

Colin, GLWTS. It looks lovely

specracer:
Looks like a lovely car!!

Might make sense to let a potential buyer know if it is an auto or a manual (as you didnt post an interior pic).

Best of luck finding it a new home.

Mike Hughes:
Hi James,

The situation with your "H" reg is exactly what happened with my RHD '67 MGB a couple of years earlier, which is was first registered NLR23F in January of '68.  The U.S. Air Force officer who bought it had just arrived in the country in December of '67, just before the Christmas Bank Holidays, so even though he picked out and paid for the car before Christmas his registration did not get processed until after the New Year.  This is how I know that "F" is a 1968 registration!

Which brings me back to my secondary question about how one can tell a '68 from a '69 280SL?  For most U.S. spec cars, foreign and domestic, it is easy to differentiate between '67, '68, and '69 models:  '67:  no side marker lights and no headrests.  '68:  side marker lights and no headrests.  '69 Side marker lights and headrests.  Since this car appears to be a Euro spec LHD car, I was just curious how does one tell the difference between a '68 and a '69?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version