Author Topic: Speedometer cable replacement  (Read 10133 times)

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
Speedometer cable replacement
« on: November 26, 2004, 09:42:42 »
I recently had my speedo/odometer rebuilt.  Palo Alto demands replacing the cable to maintain warrenty.  I've searched all forums and cannot find a step by step for this process.  Could someone spread some light for me.  Is this a complicated process?

jsaylor

Re: Speedometer cable replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 01:00:18 »
Speeedo cable is easy.

A single bolt   (10MM if I recall) holds the cable housing to trany.  Must be fully removed to pull cable and housing.  thread new cable from inside dash-out, reconnect to trany and then to speedo gauge.  K&K has cables including protective covers.

Good luck

Jim Saylor
Kauai, Hawaii
'65 230SL

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 06:21:17 »
Jim Saylor says its easy, maybe for Jim and maybe compared to brain surgery but for me it was a tough job.

I replaced the speedometer cable on a late 280SL a year or so ago. Here’s a step by step as far as I remember. The description is mine. The risk of error or accident is yours. Suggest reading the whole step by step before beginning. I made this step-by-step in baby talk so anyone even as as inexperienced as I was can (I hope) do the job.

Speedo cables are available from re-sellers, on Ebay, or from MB. Reseller or Ebay cable is about $20 to $30. MB cable is about $60 to $80. I ordered both to compare, then I used the MB cable even tho it cost four times as much. It looked better finished, had better sheathing, and since I did not want to ever replace it again, I went with the more expensive (better?) cable. There are two size cables: one for auto tranny, one for manual. Be sure to get the correct size.

Accessing the speedo cable behind the dash is the fun part. The tach unit has to come out first so you can get a hand in to reach the rear of the speedo unit.

To get the tach out, you need to remove the terminal junction box under the dash below the instrument area. It's about three inches square with a thick cable going into it. Unscrew the box and push it aside. The cable does not have to be removed. Then take off the protective/decorative under dash vinyl covered panel. Remove the few screws holding the panel.

Now get into a comfortable (ha) position on your back looking up under the dash maybe with your head on a pedal. Now reach into the maze of wires in the back of the dash on the side toward the driver door until you see (with a flashlight [torch]) or at least feel the bracket holding the tach.  The bracket is a square “C” shape; a central pin or shaft on the tach holds the bracket by a fingertight round knurled nut. Note the orientation of the bracket.

Remove the nut and take off the ground wire that is also on the pin.  The bracket should come off (or fall off). It has sharp points on the ends to better grip the back of the dash to hold the tach in place when it goes back on.

Now push the wires around a bit carefully so you can begin to push the tach unit into the car. The tach unit has wires and a cable attached so don’t push more than needed to get a grip around it from the front of the dash. The tach unit has a rubber seal around it to mate with the dash body. On many (most) cars, this is dried out and should be changed. A new one is available from MB for few dollars. (The speedo also has one so get two.)

Work the tach unit out of the hole but don’t pull too hard since the wires and the cable are still attached. The tach cable is held by a fitting at the end of the cable that mates with the connector on the back of the tach. Turn the end then pull the cable out of the unit.

[Caution: when I tried to pull the tach into the car to access the cable end, the cable was caught in the grommet where it enters through the firewall. It had been glued to the firewall grommet with some tar.

When I gently pulled the tach unit slightly into the car, the end of the cable pulled out of the cable and came off with the tach unit. Since I was replacing the tach cable anyway, it was not a disaster. Make sure the tach cable and speedo cable can pass freely thru the firewall.]

There are also wires for the two light bulbs. These are connected to bulbs and there is also a cross connection between the two bulb units. Observe the wire placement carefully and maybe make drawing to be able to put them back correctly.

Might want to think about changing the bulbs since they are now conveniently exposed.

After the wires and the cable are off, the tach is free to come off.  
Now that the tach is out, you have a nice “big” hole to allow you to put your skinny (I hope) arm into the hole to reach behind central instrument unit. DO NOT disconnect the central unit connectors. One of these as is an oil tube that will leak into the car if disturbed. The central unit can be pushed SLIGHTLY into the car if needed for access but don’t strain the connectors.

Reach behind and past the central unit to feel the speedo back. It is held on the same way as the tach unit. Loosen the central nut, catch the “C” bracket and begin to push the speedo into the car, not too much as the light wires and the cable are still attached. Remove the speedo cable end and the light wires to free the speedo unit.

Now you begin the cable phase of the operation. The speedo cable comes into the dash thru the firewall grommet. There are two grommet holes in the firewall for four cables on a late 280 SL, not sure what is on earlier cars. Look at the holes carefully and note which cables pass thru what holes.

The speedo cable can be pulled out from the dash through the firewall. The cable must go out toward the engine side, cannot be done by bringing the cable into the car interior. Maybe a good idea to tie a string to the end of the cable to use as puller to get it back. I don’t recall the details of how to get the new cable back into the rear of the dash.

The firewall hole has a rubber grommet. If dried out, should be replaced...available from MB. I remember for some reason you have to cut a slit in the grommet to get it around the cable. This is also little hazy. I remember that I had to unhook the water temp tube (also passes thru the grommet hole) and push it partially into the firewall to allow the speedo (or tach) cable to pass thru the hole. It was a very tight fit. Pull or push cable thru the firewall.

Now you can remove the tranny end of the speedo cable. On the late 280SL manual, the cable is held to the car at the tranny by a single  bolt that must come ALL THE WAY out. Just loosening the bolt at the tranny will not allow the cable to come off as the bolt passes thru a channel on the cable end.  The bolt must come out all the way.

It was challenge (ugh) to get access to the bolt as it is well under the car and half hidden by a plate that sits almost over the bolt. When installing the new cable, make sure the new cable is firmly seated in the tranny hole. The bolt will not go into the channel unless the cable is all the way in.

Re-installing is the reverse.

Hope others will chime in with corrections and more hints.

Richard M

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Dick M

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 13:25:42 »
Hi Richard..
What caused  you to replace the cables... symptoms?

I have tach and speedo out (redoing wood, heater levers and reinstalling original Becker) and wondering if I should replace cables.  I get a little cold weather scream from tach (or cable) and my speedo will often jump at low speeds....

Can these cables be lubricated .. if so how and with what?

Dick M
1970 280SL

tdun824259

• Regular
  • USA, NE, Grand Island
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 13:36:10 »
Thanks to Richard and Jim for all their help.  My interior is gutted waiting for carpet and leather, my dash is apart so hopefully I can make this painless.  Richard thanks for the play by play it was a big help.
Tim Dunagan
1971 280SL

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 19:22:05 »
I replaced the speedo cable because the speedometer was screaming at speeds above 30 mph and the pointer was also jumping around.

I replaced the tach cable because the tach pointer was jumping around.

Was told that a screaming speedo means that the internal gears should be repaired so I sent the unit out for a rebuild (about $120) and replaced the cable when re-installing the rebuilt unit. Works perfectly now.

A new tach cable cured the jumping there.

I was told that oiling the cable was not a good solution especially for the screaming which is a sign of worn internal gears.

Richard M

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Dick M

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 23:57:44 »
Thanks Richard your detailed instructions for doing the dash work..it was very helpful.
I also scratched the dash removing the driver side wood.. even with a plastic "skid."  Any tips for cosmetic repair?

Dick M
1970 280SL

LFrank

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 09:15:57 »
Mine was squealing like a little piggy this chilly morn'...it does stop after a while, h/e.

(oink) :oops:

LFrank
Washington DC
65 230 sl - auto
DB334/Hellblau

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 13:32:07 »
Is R/R the speedo cable the same on a 66 auto as the 280 sl instructions from Richard and Jim?
I have the cable and noticed it disappeared between the tranny and the support? plate.

do I need to remoove the support plate to get to the nut?  

thanks
matt
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

Longtooth

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 01:34:20 »
Wow... referring to the "step-by-step" procedure below for replacing the speedo-cable....I've had my instruments out and in again at least 3x that I recall ... probably at least one other time early on before I had car painted.... but I've never done it from under the dash, rather I've always gone in from the center of dash opening (radio, and panel with lighter and clock removed... removing the chrome strip and under dash pad, etc).  I remove in order from speedo on right to tach on left.  If I don't need to worry about the center instrument (oil line, etc), I simply loosen it and push it out a bit to get my hand far enough to undo the knurled nut from the bracket.

The step-by-step posted below for removal from under the dash is well done and with more than enough detail to enable the first time DIYer to do the job without screwing something up. Kudo's to the author.

I think I tried from underside once, but I as I vaguely recall now that I see the step-by-step below, my back was being supported by the rail at the door sill (a heavy pillow didn't help much), and length of time I had to hold my head up without support was the killer... and I'd just as soon not be hastened by my discomfort level... which usually causes me to make a dreadful "mistake" I invariably find to be a bigger problem than the one I was trying to correct in the first place.  My frame is slender & tall, so my elbow's are always looking for room to rotate my arm or hand around to another orientation for grip or accessing my fingers/hands to the object of interest.

Oh... taking out the radio might require taking out the glove box first ... none of which I find discomforting while I work (sitting on the seats)... just time consuming.  Patience and comfort levels being high are the primary determinates of my ability to get a job done without screwing it up along the way and preventing me screwing up something worse along the way.  

Also, when I drop the damned knurled nut I can retrieve it easily.

Not being a glutten for self mutilation and body punishment (once upon a time I played football and soccer while in high school... and I did my stint in the Army... basic training... so that was about the end of my body punishment days since after that I had a choice un-encombered by my peers and ego) I take the more time consuming route and sip wine or beer while I'm at it... but I don't need to use the car unless I want to so time to complete a job is not of the essense in most cases.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
'02 SL500 Sport

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 04:31:16 »
Longtooth,

quote:
rather I've always gone in from the center of dash opening (radio, and panel with lighter and clock removed...

This luxury is only available to owners of 230s and early 250s.

Later cars have a much smaller (din) radio aperture and 'surgery' from there is quite impractical [:(!]

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

Longtooth

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 23:04:33 »
Naj... ahah!  Didn't know that about the later 250's & 280's radio panel... so I'm lucky to have the earlier version 250sl then.  Thanks for increasing my level of education.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
'02 SL500 Sport