Author Topic: wind deflector  (Read 42470 times)

Rodolfo

wind deflector
« on: June 13, 2013, 18:57:55 »
I really need to buy a wind deflector, to keep the girl happy.
Anyone who has experience with the one from Classic Additions in UK?
How does it compare to the one of Mercedes?
It is 1/3 of the price. But if it is not good I will go for the Mercedes model (also slightly bigger it looks), because having a good solution is more important than  price. But if the cheaper one is as good, of course I buy that one.

I look forward to your opinions and experiences

best regards, Rudy

hauser

Re: wind deflector
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 03:56:00 »
Purchased mine from them and it works great.  It will loosen up with use and will need to be tightened up.  One other problem I have had is if I push my seat all the way back the headrest will fold down the deflector.

DavidBrough

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:30:57 »
I had one from Classic Additions but I had to make up a strap to stop if blowing forward as there was nothing in the design other than tightening the mounting screws to hold it in place have look here http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=9407.0

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 14:30:57 »
I went with the MB

Eye wateringly expensive but a very very happy beloved....
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Alf

• Senior
  • England, Surrey, Lightwater
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 12:20:00 »
I have had the MB one for years with no problems. Very easy to put on at the start of the summer and the mechanism has a mechanical stop which holds the vertical mesh screen upright against the wind pressure.

I used to have an early version of the classic additions deflector before that but just couldn't get on with it because you couldn't lower it easily. You had to stop and loosen the screws first. With the Mercedes one you can easily raise & lower it as you're driving. Worth checking if the design is the same.

Also David is right, I found tbs calssic additions one did move forward in the wind so I kept applying ever more turns to the fixing screws. I didn't like it.
Alf
'69 280SL. Silver (180 G) with black hardtop

Rodolfo

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 15:09:25 »
with these replies it seems I should better go technical for the MB solution.

Or would the one from www.pagodenteile.de be the best compromise between quality and price? Anyone who uses that one?

greetings, Rudy

DavidBrough

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 11:16:08 »
That's the one I have which is smaller than the others but seems to work just as well with the added benefit of fitting exactly to the contours of the hood cover when not in use.

Rodolfo

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 13:26:01 »
Today I ordered some parts at www.sls-hh-shop.de. Easy going website.
 But to add to the confusion: they also offer a wind deflector from WEYER. 185 euro

So confusing what to choose now.

Rudy

Rodolfo

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 16:11:34 »
I ordered one friday frome chrome design. I will see how it works by its arrival next week.

regards, Rudy

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 16:23:28 »
I have one from chrome design, works fine.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Rodolfo

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 09:13:19 »
I installed the Chrome Design -windstopper yesterday. Very easy fitting.

Then I went for a testdrive: it works great !

So I am very pleased with the Chrome Design stuff.

best regards, Rudy

71Beige280SL

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, OH, Madeira
  • 1971 280 SL
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 11:47:20 »
Rudy, What is the Chrome Design website. Can't seem to find it.
- 1971 280SL Beige/Cognac Leather
- 2024 Mercedes GLE 350
- 2023 AMG C43 Cabriolet

gerster

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 11:48:50 »
Do you have a link Rudy?  Thanks.

Greetings: Ger.

Rodolfo

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 12:38:03 »

Markbhai

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 22:15:39 »
Rudy

How easy is the chrome design one to put up and down? do you need any tools to do this?  Can the passenger do it whilst moving?

Cheers

Mark.

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 01:36:06 »
The one I purchased from the UK a few years ago looks identical to the chrome design one.  Not only can the passenger put it up while driving but the driver can as well, as I have done on numerous occasions.  Just reach back and lift the top screen up.  Stays up and works great.  I put it up or down depending on where I am driving, city/town driving I will put it down and hwy driving I will put it up.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Rodolfo

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 08:52:22 »
It works indeed as easily as Jordan describes.

Rudy

Markbhai

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 19:36:32 »
Cheers Guys

I think one will be on order shortly.

M

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 20:31:13 »
The one from Chrom Design does indeed look like a nice one.  Did anyone notice at 2:00 in the installation video, that the residual indentations from the removal of the kinder seat are visible.  I looked at mine again and concluded that if one removed about two inches from the top of the kinder seat backrest, there would no longer be a problem.  But then again, removal of the backrest takes about two minutes.  I think I saw the one in the video was lying in the rear footwell.
It`s too bad it`s so far away and so large.  Shipping to North America is likely to double the price.  I guess I`m just too cheap.

Tom Kizer
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 17:06:15 by Tomnistuff »
Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 14:11:47 »
Does anyone know what it weighs?  Their shipping prices are wide-ranging, depending on the weight.
I really think I want one too.
Tom Kizer

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 17:19:31 »
I am also considering one of these for shipping to USA.  It turns out Chrom Design will NOT charge the 19% tax since it leaves Europe so the price comes down to about 145 Euros and they quoted about 51 Euros to ship to California. So total is about 196 Euros.    I have not ordered yet as I am not certain if I will get charged DUTY once it arrives in USA or not.  It would be easier for me to receive in California since the car resides there.  If I receive it in France, It may draw the wrong kind of attention on a flight as a carry on ... ;)

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 18:58:10 »
The 19% that I wouldn`t pay because it leaves Europe becomes 15% because Québec charges sales and value-added tax on everything I buy on the internet, including the cost of shipping.
I`m still thinking about it for now, since my car is torn apart.
Tom Kizer

Rodolfo

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 20:47:49 »
I drove with it  last sunday. It is a difference like day and night. I drove with it as a test up to 150 km/h. It still was better in the cabin then at 50 km/h without a windstopper. On a warm day I just can fold it backwards and a have a full breeze again.

So me and the girl are very convinced about it. It was a gamechanger.

regards, Rudy

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 22:57:34 »
Tom, when do you pay the 15%, when ordering it or when you pick it up at the post office, courier?  When I ordered mine from the UK it came straight to the house.  My wife signed for it and that was it.  In fact the last couple of items I have purchased from Europe I have only had to sign for, no extra taxes (at the post office).  Maybe get them to send it via the post instead of courier.  Whatever you do, don't have them send it courier such as Purolator, FedEx etc as the parcel then goes through their customs broker and you pay taxes and brokerage fees.  >:(
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

simonarn

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 06:11:26 »
Thanks for the good advice, I just ordered mine and the shipping costs to our french home were 12 euros.

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 23:31:06 »
Jordan, I`ve grown accustomed to paying the Canada Post TPS and TVQ (Tax sur produits et services and tax des ventes du Québec).  Admittedly, they are not always consistent.  Sometimes they stick it in the little box at the subdivision mailboxes and put the key in my box.
I too avoid Purolator, UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. to avoid the brokerage fees.  ESPECIALLY UPS!
I notice that if there is an invoice on the outside of the box, they usually want to be paid.  If not, they let it go by.  Maybe there is something about how it`s shipped.
Tom Kizer

jeblack123

• Senior
  • USA, GA, Albany
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 05:37:46 »
Has anyone who has the windscreen from Chrome Design ordered the case for it? If so, which one, as two different sizes are offered. If not, does anyone have the dimensions of the windscreen?

Thanks,

James

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 16:20:21 »
James, just so you know you can keep the wind screen in place, unless you are having the car judged.  You can install the hard top and put up the soft top without having to remove the screen.  The one added benefit to the screen I have found is that it creates a barrier to the space behind the back seat when the top is off.  It makes it more difficult for someone to reach in and take anything that you might have behind the seat.  If you need to stand something up however, you will need to remove the screen.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Alf

• Senior
  • England, Surrey, Lightwater
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 21:30:01 »
So having spent a few weeks driving around in the heatwave in the UK, i started to ponder the aerodynamic effect of the wind deflector. Of course there is a lot less buffeting in the cabin but is that at the expense of drag elsewhere, or is the buffeting reduction indicative of an improvement in drag? Any opinions or even better, trained aerodynamicists on this site?
Alf
'69 280SL. Silver (180 G) with black hardtop

billhon

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 01:15:54 »
what is the part number for the Mercedes wind deflector you ordered? Thanks so much.

billhon

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 01:49:44 »
that's good information about the headrest interfering with the deflector. Are there any other deflectors that will not interfere with a headrest even though the seat is all the way back?

billhon

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 22:41:24 »
has anybody tried the wind deflector from love the ride company out of Canada? It's available from Buds Benz for $395. I have ordered it and I will let everybody know how I like it. I do like the pictures of the one from chrome design out of Germany because it sits lower and is invisible some of the side view of the car.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 23:21:07 »
Am just in the process of ordering this one from Cabriodesign.nl  Not cheap at 249 Euro plus postage.

I like the less intrusive nature of it and yes it does work with headrests.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2014, 13:32:55 »
I just ordered the unit from ChromDesign. I liked the video that they showed of the fitting, and the appearance looks great (to me). I don't like the plexi look.
I've been in cars with these wind deflectors and it makes all the difference in the world in terms of comfort and noise level. Those of you with wives or significant others who don't like to travel top down because of all the wind in their hair will find the ride much more tolerable. It's coming DHL so I expect it within a week. No it wasn't cheap but by ordering direct there is no VAT (a 19% savings) and it is, in total, a fraction of the cost of the OEM one that MBUSA once carried.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

billhon

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2014, 21:06:14 »
It will be nice to hear your feedback on this unit from Germany. Mine will be installed this week and I will post a picture and let you know what I think of the deflector from love the ride out of Canada. It appears very sturdy out of the box but we will see.

Rodolfo

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 06:59:49 »
The deflector of Chrome Design works great. I can recommend it, Rudy

billhon

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2014, 21:43:21 »
Thanks, would you be able to text me a picture of it installed? If not I appreciate your feedback anyway. My number is 941 376 6623.

RonB

• Senior
  • USA, MN, Cottage Grove
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 02:43:41 »
I purchased the one from Classic Additions in UK some time ago  Had to attach it with bolts from the shoulder belt anchors with special brackets. Once installed, you could not

remove it without tools. Very inconvenient. Pain in the neck to add or remove.

Would never purchase again unless they changes the design. They also had a flap fro the rail with attached to the back. poor design. Only one out there when I purchased

mine. I taken mine off and have not put it back on.

The chrome design looks nice. Looking to hear more feedback before I replace with a new one.
Previously FULL Member twice with over 500 post

71 280SL - SOLD on BAT
97 E420      SOLD
85 300D      SOLD
85 R107 380SL
07 Volvo S60

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 13:05:29 »
Garry

I had one of the clear ones as I loved the idea. It vibrated like a mad thing and worked it's way loose/fell flat while driving. It also scuffed the leather of my kinder seat. Whatever I tried with my limited skills to fix it, it wouldn't work. So I gave up and went for the MB option at far far more money and with the netting. I love it.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 22:20:34 »
I have a netting one that works fine, I just liked the clear perspex for the vertical piece.  I have priced it out from Germany and after adding shipping it ends up way too expensive and it also will not fold down which means on those really hot days we get, you cannot lower it to get some breeze.

I am going to sit down when I have some time and and see if I can adapt the existing one to have a clear barrier fitted somehow to the existing frame.  I think Tom Kizer also wants to do a similar modification so will work out something when I have a chance.

Garry

Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2014, 02:06:13 »
Well, I'd love to give you all my impressions, FWIW, on the ChromDesign unit. Seemingly however, DHL must have put it in a canoe to get here. ChromDesign shipped it immediately, but DHL has not provided an update (has not moved in their system) in two weeks. DHL is useless--which is probably why they can't make any inroads here. If it ever arrives...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2014, 04:08:21 »
.... DHL is useless--which is probably why they can't make any inroads here. If it ever arrives...
Of course, they are owned by the German Mail (Deutsche Post AG) and that corporation has used its political muscle to make sure DHL has the upper hand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DHL_Express).
I was once asking a vendor why he could not ship me parts using the German Mail's much cheaper small package rate (Maxi-Brief International) and was told that in order to cancel the VAT (sales tax) they had to use export documents provided by DHL or another shipper with even higher rates. I am not sure whether this is correct but I tend to believe it.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2014, 11:53:26 »
Well, Alfred--I think you've got it. Knowing the problem doesn't provide me the solution however…

I can tell you that when I did my bulk shipping of books for Pagoda Style--and make no mistake, each book was boxed--when the shipping company (a consolidator) dropped the boxes at the US Postal Service Export Center in Chicago, some of the UK books arrived at their designated doorstep in 3 days. Most of Europe was no more than a week, 10 days being about the longest. Sadly, the worst shipping was to Toronto area, the closest international destination and that took nearly three weeks. Even books to Turkey and Czech republic were done quickly.

The bad part about this DHL shipment is that their tracking system shows no movement since May 20, and there is little anyone can do except say "Don't worry" and "It'll arrive"...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2014, 22:20:37 »
The wind deflector arrived today. Seems to be of high quality manufacture, will install tomorrow!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 02:05:07 »
I have one from chrome design, works fine.

Larry, what was your final cost as delivered to you and how long did the delivery take after you ordered it if I may ask. My daughters assignment in London, UK is over in August and I am thinking of ordering one and have it delivered to her. She then can bring it back to Canada with her furniture.

From all the good feedback here I am sold and will also order one.

Thanks in advance.
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2014, 07:35:32 »
Hi Rolf, Including delivery and tax the cost was 185,00 Euros that was in February 2010. As far as I can remember
arrived 3 or 4 days after order was placed. So I guess if it is in stock you should be able to sort it.
The company is :- CHROM DESIGN GMBH
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Tom Novak

• Junior Level
  • Czech Republic, Praha, Dobrovíz
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2014, 08:05:54 »
Does a wind deflector for a three seater, kindersitz, exist? Thanks
230 SL arctic blue,1966 230 SL burgundy sold,1970 280 SL green sold, 1995 600SL , 1994 300 CE-24 cabrio,1973 450 sl white,1978 450 sl red,560sl sand, Rolls Royce Silver |shadow II, 1989 560 SEC brown,

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2014, 08:19:48 »
I would think you could use the same one but you will not be able to use the kinder seat at the same time.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 08:56:15 »
My current one fits with Kinda Seat fitted but obvously you are not able to use Kinda Seat.  When folded down it does give some theft protection to someone just grabbing an item from the rest area.
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 11:34:45 »
OK, I installed it. Not happy with the installation.

Four "clamps" are bolted onto the frame of the unit; these "clamps" just hang on the rim of the soft top well…and therein is the issue. They just kind of hang there.
Since the unit is "front heavy"--the hinge bar, and the vertical wind blocker itself all front load the unit, it just lifts up.
I took a Channellock pliers, and squeezed the "clamps" tight in order to effect a clamping action (they just kind of hang there) and this improved it, but not sufficiently. Just out of the box, using the brief video as a guide does not provide firm, adequate installation that would satisfy...

Two possible solutions--first is some kind of true clamp that can be screwed and tightened over this lip of the soft top well. I don't know if I'll have to fabricate something or if I can look for something that might work.
Second solution would be to drill a mounting plate through the walls of this well.

Obviously the first solution is preferable to the second. Will have to think about that and start looking…

Meanwhile if anyone else has ideas surely post or send them here.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Garry

• Platinum
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 11:38:09 »
Mine sits on the rim of the top bay and the lid holds it in place.  When I first used it it rattled a bit so I put several layers of electrical tape where the four ‘hooks’ sit.

How about a photo of what you have there Michael.

Garry
Garry Marks
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 12:03:00 »
OK.

Here you can see the clamps with the soft top lid lifted. Notice the clamp (at the right) at the rear isn't quite "straight"; I'll have to remove that clamp and bend it into compliance. Notice also that it isn't firmly seated at the rear (on the right). This is a bit of lifting since the soft top cover is up. On the front clamp, it won't seat down all the way since the compartment wall has a bit of a bump out in it.

With the soft top cover down, and since I squeezed the clamps with a Channellock, it's a bit better but not firmly seated. With the soft top cover up, it's all over the place.

Will require a bit of work to properly mount, I think.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

billhon

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2014, 21:25:39 »
I have a window deflector manufactured by love the drive out of Canada. Bud's sells these. It works great and very simple install. Cost $375.

Bobmog

• Junior Level
  • USA, WY, Cheyenne
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2015, 22:47:29 »
billhon, can you raise and lower the soft top with the wind deflector installed but folded down, or do you have to remove the wind deflector from the car to move the soft top up and down? The details from the Bud's Benz site are very limited and from the angle of their photo it looked questionable weather the soft top would clear the deflector even folded down.
Thanks,
Bob

RAY

• Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Bromley
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2015, 17:49:21 »
Just a late comment, i recently ordered a wind deflector from Classic Additions at the NEC Classic Car Show in Birmingham UK only because i noticed they now do them in different coloured leather surrounds. ordered one in cream leather should be about a week before it arrives.