« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 23:46:49 »
Hey Gerry,
Maybe the battery is over charged?  ;D

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Clock
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 01:21:54 »
.. Can someone tell me how to adjust it?  ...
It is all right here: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Clock
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

ptooner

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 02:43:01 »
It is all right here: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Clock

Well, sorta.  This is what it says there: "Make EXTREMELY small movements of the adjustment pinion, and allow the clock to settle for at least 24 hours between adjustments. To get a really fine adjustment can take a week, and it will be spoiled as soon as the car heats up inside. An inability to achieve adjustment indicates wear on the plates."  My questions are more along the line of what does this adjustment look like and which way do you turn it to make it slower or faster and how much does what? 

Gerry

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 03:57:52 »
Well now, we can't divulge everything up front, that would kill the joy of discovery!  ;) ;D
Just take the clock out, turn it around and (if still there) remove the paper sticker with the VDO letters. Underneath is the adjustment pin that you need to turn. There are step marks visible; turn the screw only one step at a time and check the result. I believe a clockwise turn will speed it up, but I am not sure.
If your clock is slow then it is most likely caused by dirt and grease built up and any adjustment will be good only for a limited time until the spring gets weaker again.
Alfred

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 10:09:41 »
Quote from: 66andBlue
If your clock is slow then it is most likely caused by dirt and grease built up and any adjustment will be good only for a limited time until the spring gets weaker again
As mentioned is other replies here, there is a thermo fuse inside this clock. As the clock oil gums up with the grime from decades added as Alfred describes, the movement will sieze. The fuse then "pops".

A thorough cleaning of the movement is essential, hard to find a watchmaker that will take on the task however (I have asked a number of them). I may need to clean it myself, as Markbhai suggests in posting #14 here.
Also, the chrome trim ring will need to be swaged back on after dis-assembly, not all watchmakers can do this well. BTW, the front glass on the clock is plastic (plexiglass?), can anyone suggest a vendor which sells these separate?
/Hans in Sweden

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 14:06:19 by mbzse »
/Hans S

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 10:16:21 »
The Pmma clear plastic lens is in repro available , but it lacks the small   "Ring"   that surrounds the knob.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 17:27:27 »
.... hard to find a watchmaker that will take on the task however (I have asked a number of them). ...
Hi Hans,
have you asked him: http://www.uhrmacher-meyer.de/ ?
See: http://www.pagodentreff.de/diskussionsforum/t2257-uhr-geht-4.html

Alfred

ptooner

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 19:50:13 »
Well now, we can't divulge everything up front, that would kill the joy of discovery!  ;) ;D
Just take the clock out, turn it around and (if still there) remove the paper sticker with the VDO letters. Underneath is the adjustment pin that you need to turn. There are step marks visible; turn the screw only one step at a time and check the result. I believe a clockwise turn will speed it up, but I am not sure.
If your clock is slow then it is most likely caused by dirt and grease built up and any adjustment will be good only for a limited time until the spring gets weaker again.

Okay, here's the latest update.  As part of a dash refurbishment (another story) I have the clock out so I hooked it to the car's battery with alligator clip wires and ran it for 24 hrs.  It gained 5 minutes.  Today I turned the adjustment one increment ccw and will time it for another 24 hrs while I wait for some parts to arrive.  If anyone is interested, the dash job was probably not quite as difficult as it appeared.  The trick is to soak the leather in hot water at least 30 minutes before trying to make compound curves.  Also, seal off the wooden cowl that goes over the instruments BEFORE stretching the wet leather over it.  That will save you a lot of time later trying to reshape the wooden cowling.  Ask me how I know.   :'(

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 03:51:57 »
...  The trick is to soak the leather in hot water at least 30 minutes before trying to make compound curves.  ....
Did you loose much of the grain in the leatherdoing that way?
Can you post a photo of the final product, please?
Alfred

jedwards

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 03:51:38 »
Can anyone recommend a clock repairer or converter to digital in Australia?

ptooner

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 14:39:23 »
No, there is no distinguishable difference between the soaked leather and the not soaked leather.  Some pieces, such as the right side dash upper is only soaked at one end (outboard) and there is no visible line of demarcation.  I am assembling today and will forward finished photos.  On a related subject, do you know how to get the glass off the speedo?
Gerry

ptooner

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 22:01:21 »
I examined the leather carefully in regard to your question.  There is no visible change to the leather.  OTOH the portion that has been soaked and shaped is not as flexible as the leather that has not been treated.  Since it doesn't flex in use on the dash parts that doesn't seem to be a problem.  I posted the first photos today on another thread immediately after completing the job.  In fact I hadn't even cleaned up or put the ashtray back in the console at that time.

Gerry

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 03:12:21 »
Thanks for the update Gerry!
Alfred