Author Topic: "high efficiency" radiator recore  (Read 17096 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: "high efficiency" radiator recore
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 18:34:47 »
My "new" radiator arrived today.  After Bob Possel's experiences, and other pieces of information, I decided to do a core exchange with Gernold of SL-Tech.  A slight premium over a regular recore, but no waiting.  He had to inspect the core I sent him (the astute will remember that Bob Possel's old radiator, was deemed "junk") and thankfully mine was acceptable enough for recore.  So, Gernold will re-core mine, clean it and paint it and it will await another exchange with someone else.   It would be a lot easier around here to find someone with a lot of experience in re-coring or rebuilding or even re-creating a radiator for a 1937 Ford, or 1957 Chevy, or 1972 Plymouth than our W113.  I didn't think it really would be an issue until someone screwed up Bob Possel's radiator...

I trust Gernold's assessment and experiences.  He found a local radiator shop in Maine that worked with him to do it right; do it "Gernold's way".  Apparently the shop invested in their own core-manufacturing equipment which is most definitely NOT the norm; most places just do the clean-up and soldering, "and use this weird paint that never dries" (Gernold)  and measure up said core and buy it from one of the few core suppliers that fabricates it for them.  If you are lucky, you'll get a custom one.  If not, you'll get "the nearest size" which is something I did wish to avoid.  Gernold, as most you you know, has been at this W113 game a bit too long to tolerate poor work.

The radiator looks nice, painted by Gernold to factory spects.  Waiting on a few more parts from Dave Gallon, and then I can complete the chore of putting it all back together...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 18:47:25 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 19:00:17 »
I had my raditor re-cored a couple of years ago with the high efficiency core.  It looks no different then originial, even the fin pattern is the same/close to originial.  I did not have a overheating problem before, just wanted to get the best for my money.  Still have no heating problems.  Glad it did it to the high efficiency core.
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

SilverSpear

• Senior
  • Saudi Arabia, Ar Riyāḑ, Riyadh
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 20:44:15 »
Hey guys, just wanted to share a partial experience with this radiator thing, mine has 8 dead rows (welded) and extensive damage... I am browsing the local market for a replacement core and I want it to be BEHR and nothing else. Any competent radiator shop can exchange cores with mine.

While searching for 7 days, I found a Mercedes 116 radiator which, if I am not mistaken, and using a measurement tape, has the same width, length but a slight different height than mine (the other one is higher by 3/4 inch or so). My car is an auto with the cooler at the bottom of the rad.

The other merc's part number rad was 1165011501. I didn't buy it because it has some damage to it, I will keep searching for another one until I find it and confirm my findings...
Early 67 Pagoda 250SL - Under comprehensive restoration

jeffc280sl

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 00:34:09 »
Not sure this technology is affordable for our application.  You may have heard of microchannel parallel flow condensers.  This company uses a similar technology for radiators.  Users today include Indy cars and the Up Armored HUMVEE used in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I understand GM is looking at this technology for their future hybrid cars.  Greater heat transfer and reduced weight.

http://www.mezzotech.com/applications.html

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:52 »
Well, I purchased the recored radiator on exchange from Gernold at SL-TECH.  Thankfully my old radiator was in good enough condition for the exchange.

I've had the radiator in now for about a month.  The first couple of weeks of operation were under extreme conditions, well over 90 degrees and some stop and go.  Most of that was on the way to PUB.

The normal operating temperature isn't moving much which is an improvement over the old radiator.  I'm generally at the 180 degree mark.  Under the stop and go and high ambient temperatures, the temperature rises to a needle's width above, but not more than than.

It was the right thing to do at the right time.  What precipitated the action, however was a noisy water pump.  That was changed as well, and the noise on that went away too.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 13:38:45 »
Michael - do you know what condition would cause the radiator to be not suitable for exchange?
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 20:21:59 »
A radiator recore involves unsoldering the upper and lower parts--the tanks--disposing of the bulk--the core--and putting it all together again.

If the tanks are really dented, beyond a reasonable effort to repair (such as if the radiator was dropped, large stone damage, etc) or anything like that, there will be an issue.  I would guess severe damage to any of the fittings might be an issue.  Remember, the old radiator coming in get recored and the next buyer is going to want one as good looking and as well performing as the one that just left...

Mine looked pretty nasty but it really was just the finish.  Gernold says (and I had to laugh) that most radiator shops paint the radiators with "this paint that never seems to dry".  He doesn't know what it is but he uses automotive paint.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid