Author Topic: Fuel hose "saturating through"  (Read 13155 times)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Fuel hose "saturating through"
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2010, 18:34:01 »
I guess 66 is pointing at me? ::)

I'll call 66,  Mr. web site. ;)

Mr. web site depends far too much on things he reads on the internet.  ;) It's like those people who only watch network TV and never read a newspaper. Their whole and complete source of info is TV. Exposed to other forms of media, there's an oppertunity to progress past Dancing with the Stars but that would require giving up the remote. ::)

I guess Mr. web site didn't like my private email about down shifting with a standard trans. Again, his point of view came from, you guessed it, a web site. Poorly written and highly biased towards that particular point of view it proved nothing.

As soon as I see someone point towards a web site link as their definitive point of view I pretty much dismiss it as non relevant. Rather than facts taken from personal experience or something one actually knows about, we have everyone surfing the net looking for info to back up their BS.
You don't see Joe pointing to web sites do you? He either knows or says nothing about the subject - I do the same thing which is why you won't hear me say anything about A/C, radios, electronics or auto tramsmissions.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about concerning these fuel hoses. The fabric covered fuel hoses tend to fall apart over time, that's true but they were doing that long before any ethanol was used. Since I'm working on all of this stuff every day I see what's going on. All of the other fuel lines will last for years and many of the fabric ones seem to be doing the same thing. None of these lines were developed at a time when ethanol was used at all yet they work fine with our 10% blends.
My conclusion is that there was a bad run of hoses or there was a bunch of old stock laying around. I've only seen two hoses that started to leak in the past 10 years and we replaced them with new ones. After 9 years they're fine. The one replaced one didn't make it to the first year so we replaced it ith another new one. That particular hose may have been affected by ethanol but it's highly inconclusive and even more speculative.

BTW,
If you can find a tech post anywhere on this site where I used a web site link to make my point then you can win on this one.

You won't, so don't bother to look. 8)

Mr. C
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

RickM

Re: Fuel hose "saturating through"
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2010, 20:07:24 »
Additive package ingredients are more likely to cause damage on lesser grades of hose. Bottom line, if you feel your line is failing prematurely then replace with SAE 30R10 + rated product.