Author Topic: Science Experiment on Grille Turns Out OK  (Read 3585 times)

ctaylor738

  • Full Member
  • Platinum
  • ******
  • USA, VA, Falls Church
  • Posts: 1150
Science Experiment on Grille Turns Out OK
« on: May 17, 2010, 15:18:38 »
My poor 230SL's grille is in bad shape, but it got better this weekend.

The shell was secured on the top by a sheet metal screw on the front.  The bottom had sheet metal screws that were badly-angled because the holes in the shell didn't line up with the holes in the body.  When I took the grille out, I found that there is no metal lip for the top screws to attach to, hence the reason for the screw in the front.  The black trim pieces were attached to the shell with wire because there was no place on the body to mount them.

Gernold looked at it and pronounced it a dis-ass-tuh.  But after looking at he perfect grilles on the cars at the Deutsche Marque a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try to improve it.

I ended up making a pair of metal plates and attaching them to the body with bolts and nuts to provide a place to attach the shell's top screws.  After a lot of experimenting, I was able to drill holes that lined up with the shells and positioned the shell more or less correctly around the opening.  I secured the shell top with sheet metal screws.  Then using a Dremel tool with a cutting bit, I was able trim the enlarge the bottom holes enough to get the screws in more-or-less straight.  I used the correct screws and spacers on the bottom.  It looks like I can use them on the top as well.  

So I still have the hole in the front of the shell, but no screw!

I also got the black aluminum pieces better-secured to the shell, but these really need to be replaced.

Anyway, I hope that no one else has this problem, but I thought I would post my soulution just in case.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 15:20:09 by ctaylor738 »
Chuck Taylor
1963 230SL #00133
1970 280SL #13027 (restored and sold)
1966 230SL #15274 (sold)
1970 280SL #14076 (sold)
Falls Church VA