Author Topic: data plate  (Read 7148 times)

holden66

data plate
« on: February 23, 2010, 22:04:19 »
I guess the data plate is located in the engine compartment on the left.  My car is white, and it appears that the data plate is white also.  Should this plate be painted, or should it be silver?  If it is not supposed to be painted, will I be able to remove the paint with paint remover and not hurt the numbers?  thanks.

John (Holden66)

Bernd

Re: data plate
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 01:33:47 »
Hi John,

The data plate is painted the color of the car.

Bernd

holden66

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 03:38:59 »
I now think the data card is in the located approximately in the middle of the engine compartment near the fire wall foam insulation......the number I referred to before is in the engine compartment approximately above the left driver side wheel.  I am just trying to do some matching up and identification, but I know the engine is not original......

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 04:01:19 »
Hey John. I still think what Bernd said is true. There are usually two distinctive plates in the bay -- one on the drivers side near the fender well and the VIN plate which is on the firewall. Now neither is what I would call the data card -- which is completely different beast -- a paper card that has the entire data for your unique car. Most of us had to write or call Mercedes to get a copy. That said -- the plate on the fender is usually painted body color. The one on the firewall is a silver aluminum color with black paint covering much of it. I'd look at the wiki for a much more understandable description of all this...
James
63 230SL

Bernd

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 06:23:15 »
Agree with James on exactly what he says. The "data" card is the paper document from Mercedes listing all the exact options a particular car was delivered with, such as extras, color codes etc.. The Type shield (Typenschild or Typschild) is the one on the firewall (mostly on 230SL's), or as the case may be, the A (as in my 280SL) or B pillars. I believe the wiki page is not entirely correct with regards to how absolutely it states where which plate was affixed. According to that page my 280 which I have owned for 20 years and had not had any paint work done before I purchased it, would have the Typschild incorrectly placed on the A pillar.The metal embossed tag in front of the windshield wiper motor is the one that mostly gives paint codes..etc. Anyhow, I was thinking you were talking about that one. That one is painted. The Typschild is black and white and is not painted.

see wiki page for more explanation, but do remember that there may be some differences on some cars to what it states.

Assuming you are talking about the one above the left wheel, then this is the way it looks (see pic)

second line are paint codes, third line body style (113) and model ( 044) left hand drive (1) and automatic (2) etc.
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/BodyandPaintNumberPlate
Sorry if I am adding to the confusion.

see attached pic. This is most definitely the way a 280 SL from 1968 looked. And yes, I know the thermal time switch relay is missing in this pic.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 06:59:53 by Bernd »

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:33:47 »
When asking about an item on a car, it's helpful if the message includes the model (e.g. 280SL), the version (USA or EURO), the year, and perhaps the last numbers of the VIN (001234).

USA version 280SL's have two Data Plates: one is along the inside top of the left fender as shown in a previous message here. This plate is the color of the car exterior.

These cars have another Plate on the left Door Jamb below the door lock mechanism. This plate is affixed after the car is painted.

USA 280SL's also have a small grey metal tag affixed to the A pillar on the left of the windshield. This allows the VIN number to be seen through the windshield as required by some USA states. The tag is unpainted.

Euro model cars do not have a Door Jamb Plate or an A Pillar Tag but they do have a Data Plate attached to the Firewall about 1/3 in from the right end. (Replacement firewall covers are cut to allow for this plate.) This plate, as described above, is mostly black.

We use Data Card to refer to the paper card available from the Mercedes Classic Center. The Data Card includes the options, paint colors, numbers, and more for a specific car. Every interested owner should have a copy of the Data Card for his/her car.

The Tech Manual has info and photos of Data Cards and Data Plates.

Richard M, NYC 
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Bernd

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 13:06:54 »
Lots of differences; mine does not have one on the windshield (1968 280SL)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 17:09:23 »
Like Bernd's my 1968 US version 280SL also does not have the windshield metal tag.
It does have the painted plate in the engine compartment and the (unpainted) plate on the A pillar as he shows it.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

holden66

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 19:19:25 »
How do you get in touch with the Mercedes Classic Center?  Thank you for the very helpful responses.  I would like to have a paper Data Card as you referred to.  I have a 1966 230SL.

John

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 19:52:04 »
Mercedes Classic Center in  the USA

1-866-MBCLASSIC (622-5277)

Richard M,  NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

holden66

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 03:01:50 »
Today I emailed MBUSA with ownership proof and they sent me the data card today.  Thanks for the tip.