Author Topic: Interior Re-Assembly Help  (Read 3478 times)

n/a

Interior Re-Assembly Help
« on: November 26, 2003, 22:09:59 »
What pieces should go back on the dash before the windshield is re-installed? Top dash panels, then wood trim, then instruments (tach,speedo,heater levers)

Also what is the prefered order of re-assembly of the interior trim?
(dash upholstery, then chrome trim, etc).  Trim is much easier to remove, upon reassembly even with photos, it can be mis-leading.l

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Interior Re-Assembly Help
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 00:03:11 »
Hello SD,
Do as much on the dash as possible before re-installing the windshield. The exception may be the wood. Some restorers wait till after the windsield is installed in order to keep if from being damage during glass installation. The problem here is that items such as the gauages, glove box etc. need to be left off so the wood fasteners can be reached for installation. I prefere to be careful and install the wood before the windshield. The wood can be covered with a low stick masking tape for protection. The steering wheel removes easily. It's removal makes the dash work much easier also. Good luck.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 00:19:28 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

pkiefert

Re: Interior Re-Assembly Help
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 11:47:49 »
when I took off the wood trim to refinish, I didnt know one was supposed to remove so much to access them. I used an appropriate size socket with flex joint on a long extension, some masking tape lining it, and worked it up to the blue plastic nuts holding them and was able to remove and reinstall the nuts without too much trouble. The hard part is squirming into a position amongst the seats and other protrusions to get a view upward.