Author Topic: shocks for 113 cars  (Read 3082 times)

n/a

shocks for 113 cars
« on: November 07, 2003, 14:06:35 »
I am thinking about replacing the shocks on my 280SL and wondering if there is any experience out there with shocks other than the Bilstein gas shocks that were OEM on these cars. In particular, has anyone used Konis and do they have any feel for which is better? Not that Bilsteins aren't good, but would Konis be better?

George Davis

Re: shocks for 113 cars
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 14:23:08 »
Jim,

I am a Koni fan.  Unfortunately, I can't compare Konis to Bilsteins, but I can say that I am completely satisfied with the Konis.

The only Konis available for 113s are the Classic line.  They are not gas pressurized (makes installation easy), and they have three adjustments for the rebound (extension) damping rate.  The compression stroke damping is fixed.

I installed them at setting 1 (softest) as recommended, and the ride is great.  In this setting, I would characterize the ride as very, very slightly underdamped.  Very smooth and comfortable, yet still well controlled.  I've not tried the stiffer settings, I see no need to.

Biggest disadvantage to the Konis is the 113 shocks are not stocked in the US and have to be special ordered.  Took about 2 months to come in.  I ordered them through Tirerack, about $90 each.

I also installed Konis in another car, and they transformed the ride from "buying this car was a mistake" to acceptable.  Magic.

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

n/a

Re: shocks for 113 cars
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 20:22:26 »
Many thanks! this encourages me to try them. It also makes me wonder if Konis are available for another car I have for which the factory replacement adjustable Bilsteins are hundreds of dollars each. I am going to look into this.