Author Topic: Fuse removal  (Read 6085 times)

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Fuse removal
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:20:14 »
For those of us without the toolkit fuse pliers...

what is the best/safest way of removing fuses from the fusebox? (I have searched but must be using the wrong terms.)

I assume the fuse connectors would appreciate a little clean while the fuse is out.

James Lester
RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Fuse removal
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 14:49:23 »
I just use a small pair of needle-nose pliers and grab one of the metal ends of the fuse.

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

tuultyme

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 19:39:33 »
I use a curved hemostat.  Just another odd useful lab tool.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 19:57:07 »
Bruce, you're such an elitist!   :mrgreen:

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 12:35:12 »
And does everyone have a hemostat (curved, of course) lying around while waiting for brain sugery to begin in the kitchen...or is it only me that is missing this common household item?  :o)

Richard M, NYC
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 12:36:14 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 23:47:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by 280SL71

And does everyone have a hemostat (curved, of course) lying around while waiting for brain sugery to begin in the kitchen...or is it only me that is missing this common household item?  :o)

Richard M, NYC

It's just you. I have one I keep in my bathroom cabinet. In case of emergencies.[:p]

James Lester
RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather
James L

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 06:17:43 »
I always put a cloth under the fuse box to catch the fuse if I drop it. Last thing I need is to carry around a selection of inaccessible fuses in the abyss below my brake booster. RHD

I was using a pair of long nosed pliers with the jaws wrapped in electrical tape, now I use the fuse pliers that was in the tool kit that I bought on eBay Australia.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
BEST OF THE BEST!
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

graphic66

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 07:58:24 »
I have some hemostats in my tool box leftover from the 60's. Back then they had an even more obscure use. Now everybody run out and twist your fuses, this is an annual ritual of Mercedes ownership. And if you haven't cleaned the tips of the fuses and the contacts, now is the time. I also put a little dielectric silicone grease on the end of each fuse. Some very fine sandpaper will polish the fuse and being very careful clean right where they contact the fuse holders. Also you sometimes need to bend the contacts a little to get the fuse held tightly in. When removing the fuse be careful not to bend the tabs. I really like the fuse system, even though it has been bad mouthed from time to time. With a little care and maintenance they will never give you trouble. The fuses can help you get diagnosed with OCD, if they all line up and are in the perfect orientation, then I would say you could use some psychological help. I know all my fuses are in perfect order and my girlfriend sure thinks I am a nut about the car.

JamesL

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 11:02:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by hands_aus

I always put a cloth under the fuse box to catch the fuse if I drop it. Last thing I need is to carry around a selection of inaccessible fuses in the abyss below my brake booster. RHD

This is an excellent tip. One worth remembering before dropping one of the short fuses underneath the brake servo :oops:
James L