Author Topic: Help with "brown" paint colors!  (Read 6944 times)

n/a

Help with "brown" paint colors!
« on: November 01, 2003, 23:14:35 »
Gentlemen and Ladies,
I am preparing to paint my car, and I've decided that I'd like it to be brown.  The only problem is, I am unfamiliar with the distinctions between all the browns that MB used over the decades.  Havana Brown, Brasil Brown, Tobacco Brown, Milan Brown, Medium Brown, Deer Brown, Russet Brown...
There is no shortage of Mercedes-Benz browns!
Is there a web site with good pictures of various MB paint colors?  Maybe images of actual cars that showcase the colors?  If not, does anyone out there have a brown MB and maybe some pictures of the car you could email me?  I'm particularly interested in medium to darker browns (I think Havana Brown, Tobacco Brown, Brasil Brown and Medium Brown, but I'm not sure... ) I'd love to see any images you might have, and also get your personal take on what you think of the various brown colors.
Feel free to reply directly to paul@sopwithracing.com.
Thanks in advance,
Paul Misencik
Huntersville, NC

Douglas

Re: Help with "brown" paint colors!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 00:13:14 »
Paul,
A couple of people on this site have tobacco brown cars, including our own Webmaster. Look at the "Featured Cars" section and you should be able to see his car.
Mind you, seeing pix on a computer monitor is no way to pick a color for a car. There are way too many variables that can possibly distort the accuracy of the color, including the settings on your monitor, the particular print of the photo, the scan, the way the sun was hitting the car in the photo, etc.
In any event, congrats on narrowing your choices for a color. I know that's a difficult process. For what it's worth, tobacco brown is a handsome color for a Pagoda, in my opinion. And so is its cousin, dark bordeaux red.
Douglas Kim
New York, NY
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 03:57:41 by Douglas »

n/a

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2003, 06:46:28 »
<< Mind you, seeing pix on a computer monitor is no way to pick a color for a car. >>
Yes, I agree.  The only problem is, I don't seem to have any other choice!  (I'm already paging through ever MB book I can find, but most photo captions don't tell you what the specific color name is...)
I'm just hoping to find out fairly general differences between, say, Havana Brown, Brasil Brown, Tobacco Brown, etc.  If I can go through a process to determine: "Okay, Havana Brown is darker than Tobacco, and Brasil Brown has more of a reddish brown color..."  I'll be happy with that.  I know this might not be possible on the net, but I'm just hoping!
(Incidentally, there is an online color guide for MG paint codes, complete with photos, and it's outstanding.  The photographic and textual descriptions of the paint colors are very accurate, and the site lists Dupont, Ditzler and PPG color forumlas in addition to the factory paint code.  I was sorta hoping there might be something like this for Mercedes-Benz...)
But anything will help.  Thanks again!
Paul Misencik
Huntersville, NC

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 09:24:13 »
Okay, well if you put it that way, try:
http://viewimages.mbz.org/colors/glasurit/
(The car used to show silver-grey metallic belongs to yours truly.)
Douglas Kim
New York, NY

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2003, 10:15:29 »
Perhaps you should take the time to call and/or visit these guys.  I'm sure they would have original dealership brochures and possibly original paint chip samples to compare to the paint they use today.
Silver Star Restorations
511 US Highway 19
Topton, NC 28781
828-321-4268
http://www.silverstarrestorations.com
Are they far from you?
Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?