Author Topic: Searching sl113.org efficiently  (Read 2554 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Searching sl113.org efficiently
« on: December 14, 2007, 06:22:14 »
Dear all,

on the front page of our site (at http://www.sl113.org) I have changed the search function to use Google. Previously we used a site search facility that manually required reindexing the site, and therefore was not very up-to-date.

If you want to find everything there is to know about a topic, use the site search function. It finds content, regardless of whether it is in the forums, in one of our tables, or in the Technical Manual.

Furthermore, it does not time out and generates no load on our server!

Note: to make it easy to use this function, I have added it to the standard Forum Search. Just use the Google search block underneath.

Peter

1970 280SL. Also known as 'admin@sl113.org' and organiser of the Technical Manual.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Searching sl113.org efficiently
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 16:33:27 »
The Google Search works with mixed results.  You have to search twice, because the first search only turns up the most recent couple of topics that contain the search word.  Once you have done the first search it will prompt you to do a more extensive search that will provide all relevant topics.  Even so, it does not zoom to and highlight the search word, so you have to read through each entire topic to find the desired information.  That said, the search is very quick - only determining if the topic satisfies the need is cumbersome.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 16:35:22 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 05:04:11 »
Hi Peter,

One additional comment to add to Mike's....

I could be missing something on this, so please correct me if there is a better way.....

While the site seems to now be more organized and search time is faster, it seems that you have to now go into each "folder" to check new posts.  I used to like just going into our website and into the "General Forum" to read ALL new posts and catch up on new ideas, issues, etc.  

Maybe we need a "Recent Changes" menu selection for folks like me?

:) Thanks for all of your work on making this better for all of us!
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

hauser

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:39:07 »
I also suggest that everyone check out the Home page every once in a whhile.  It too has evolved!  Great job Peter!! :D

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 09:31:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

I could be missing something on this, so please correct me if there is a better way.....

Maybe we need a "Recent Changes" menu selection for folks like me?

Bob, you are certainly missing something... what you are looking for exists, and has existed on this forum since day one... just log in on the forum and press Active Topics on the top right menu. You'll get a single page with all changes since your last login! Dead easy..

Peter

1970 280SL. Also known as 'admin@sl113.org' and organiser of the Technical Manual.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!