Author Topic: Buyers and/or First Time Owner's Guide  (Read 6952 times)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Buyers and/or First Time Owner's Guide
« on: December 15, 2006, 14:45:03 »
Do you think it is worth while to place a buyer's guide, or a first time owner's guide, on the Technical Articles (http://www.sl113.org/articles/default.asp) or some other static location of our web site?  We already have a "buying a car" section, but we could make something much nicer than this simple collection of messages.  What do you think?

Alternatives:
- Do nothing, everything is fine as-is.
- Make a dedicated thread that everyone could contribute to, perhaps make it "sticky" so first time visitors to the site can find it easily.
- Make a static web page that is comprehensive and easy to read.  Could be updated on a regular basis.
- Make a document for download (or reading on the web browser).
- Other ideas?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 14:55:13 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Buyers and/or First Time Owner's Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 15:16:43 »
Hi Rodd. Personally, I'm not crazy about it going to the Technical Articles section. The Discussion Section seems much more alive and active. Of your "alternatives" -- the sticky thread is not a bad idea.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 08:03:49 »
James,

One reason I'm leaning towards a Technical Articles or Downloadable File method is that a person (or a few people) can "own" it and make sure it's correct.  On the forums, people can put in opinions and incorrect information.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 08:24:40 »
Rodd,

As discussed on the previous thread, I am very much in favour of an article that serves new owners and which helps them take the right steps from the start. James (the previous post) is correct that the message board is far more alive, but I reiterate that new members - like me - are not familiar with the site, the search function and the wealth of info therein. Nor are they/we familiar with certain personalities who post a great deal of excellent advice, versus those who pop up from time to time.

New owners, such as me, need lots of info early in order to inform not only choices about what we can do and what requires a mechanic, but the info also informs what I get my mechanic to do and thus the initial decisions I make about where to spend money.

So, I most strongly feel that a stand alone article in the tech forum is what is required. It should be separate from information aimed at helping potential buyers choose cars - although this information is also pretty much a must have - and it should seek to give good, basic advice much along the lines of that received to date on this thread: http://index.php?topic=6265

I am sure many of the very experienced members have, perhaps, forgotten how they felt when they first came into contact with the 113 knowing nothing about it. Those that haven't, or newer members who continue to struggle with what to do next will realise how helpful such an article would be. Go for it.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 10:01:00 »
Hey Rodd & James. I now see the value of a stand-alone tech article on this. I guess my fear was folks may not gravitate to the tech articles as easy as they do the discussion. I get in there once in a while to check on things but then usually end up searching the discussion for more insights anyway. So I'd say a definitive nuts and bolt fact sheet is a great idea -- just where it will reside concerns me a bit.

And James, in response to your statement of how the experienced owners felt when they first found their cars -- I (and my check-wielding father!) surely wished this site had been around! We are talking 1979 -- and a car that needed a ton of work... 27 years and some TLC later, though, it remains my pride and joy.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

paulr

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 12:26:25 »
I also think that it should be a definitive piece that is updated via postings and notes rather than left open for everyone to add to. I have found some of the information available a little overwhelming to be able to extract the 'right' answer.

paulr

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 13:00:13 »
Hey Rod,

I am very much in favor of a new section in the website.

Perhaps under a heading such as " - When I first got the car - "  long time owners could delineate what they found wrong with their vehicle at that time.  The odds are very good that there will a high degree of commonality in specific areas about specific problems we have all had to deal with. Under this scenario,  a dedicated static webpage would make the most sense.

Regards to All,  Larry in CA
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TDT (Concours, 86K w/ GETRAG 5sp)
1982  300TDT (rough and rusty)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 cabriolet

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 21:08:45 »
Doesn't this idea dovetail with the Manual project that Cees has tried to organize?  Could we not start actually assembling the manual on the "static" web page?

Ever since I found this forum I have been collecting some threads and some of Joe A's "tours" and editing them with photos into MS Word documents that I keep for reference.  The files should definitely be downloadable.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

rwmastel

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 22:03:10 »
That's good feedback, everyone.  Keep the ideas (and the reasons behind them) flowing.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
Rodd

2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 16:39:18 »
Yes, Rodd,

It's generally an excellent idea to make a stand-alone tech article on this.
We could probably collect some of our advice-threads on this topic, combine it with your article in the Pagoda World a couple of issues back, add some pics and ...

The best would be a downloadable file (.pdf) that soon-to-be-owners can take with them when looking at a specific car.

Good idea indeed!

Best,

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 04:19:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond

Doesn't this idea dovetail with the Manual project that Cees has tried to organize?  Could we not start actually assembling the manual on the "static" web page?

Ever since I found this forum I have been collecting some threads and some of Joe A's "tours" and editing them with photos into MS Word documents that I keep for reference.  The files should definitely be downloadable.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe

I agree with Raymond... this idea does dovetail with the MANUAL.
It could be just one part (THE FIRST) of the 'eDOCUMENT'.
Like Raymond I have created a reference for my own use which consists of a separate 'favourites' folder for WEB TOPICS.
The folder has links to any site that has information relevant to the Pagoda.
I don't limit my source of knowledge to any one site.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

glennard

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 10:38:13 »
Pagoda Palaver  Re: Owner's Manual   Once we own anything 'IT' becomes a becomes a maintenance and repair project.  Cost/benefit, etc.  Seems a general, first pass look at things by expense is as follows:

$10,000 and up  RUST  Rust has destroyed more 113s than all else?
        What to use and how can we stop rust? Waxoyl, fenders, rocker panels, trunk, etc.

$5-10K    ENGINE  How do we get 200K miles out of the engine?
         3000 mile oil changes, adjusting valves, filter 'O' ring, chain/tensioner, tach fitting, etc.

$2-5K     King pins/front end, lubrication fittings, wiper shafts, bearings, diff, heater, top, paint, injection pump, fuel pump, etc.

Less than $2K   Interior items, trim pieces, tires, insurance, fuel choice, brakes/calipers, hoses, alternator/electrical, etc.

Rust stands out as the most expensive item.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 10:46:09 »
Frank Barrett has a good "buyers guide" section in his Illustrated Buyers Guide to Mercedes Benz
Product Details

Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: Motorbooks International; 2nd edition (December 1998)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0760304513
ISBN-13: 978-0760304518
Product Dimensions: 9.2 x 7.4 x 0.5 inches
Shipping Weight: 1.09 pounds

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Bob G

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 12:36:03 »
Rodd:
I would like to see an addition to for new ownership with the point of inspection to check presale for intrested parties. Pictures are valueible refferences as well.

Bob Geco