Author Topic: 230 SL used in both Arabesque 1966 and Two For The Road 1967 - Nerd Share :)  (Read 1035 times)

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
Hi all,

Apologies if this is a topic that has been covered before, but looking under the movie titles I could see discussion of the car used in Arabesque (1966) and Two For The Road (1967) but nothing relating them.

In a 2017 thread here: https://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=26934.0

Tyler S mentions noticing two large paint chips on the hood showing red paint.

This is likely due to the fact that the car belonged to Stanley Donen the director of both Arabesque and Two For The Road.

We know this as he mentions it being his personal car in the audio commentary he recorded for TFTR.

Though Donen did not that I'm aware record a similar commentary for the less well critically regarded Arabesque, the British registration for the 230SL used in both films is clearly the same 1965 plate MML 303C so it seems reasonable to assume then that it's the same car in both movies, and that the paint chips Tyler observed are because it was red the year before as seen in Arabesque!

Interestingly in Arabesque though both the body and roof are red, the hubcaps are white. It maybe possible then that the car started out as red with white roof and hubcaps since it seems unlikely (if possible) that someone ordered it with only white hubcaps. Possibly they borrowed a red hardtop for the car or even painted it red for the movie. The car in Arabesques is mainly seen at night and possibly this offered more contrast and looked more dangerous since it's a thriller!

By TFTR a year later the car with the same registration of MML 303C is all white. Again this maybe due to contrast since this film is entirely shot on location in bright summer sunshine in France so the white really pops. I had also heard that it was painted white because Audrey Hepburn couldn't abide red cars, but I don't know if that's apocryphal!

I wonder if it's possible to trace the VIN number through the original registration or if the car still exists, whether it might even still wear the same plate now? Whoever owns it certainly has the most cinematically important W113 in existence -  having been driven by both Sophia Lauren and Audrey Hepburn!
Thanks,
Rich

1966 Mercedes 230SL (Euro model)

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
It has been said that the Pagoda in Two for the Road was Audrey Hepburn's own car.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
TFTR??
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Two For The Road ... TFTR
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Not seeing that registration in the Licencing database.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Check out some video's and excerpts from films on this page:

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Main/Video

1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

RichardPercival

• Regular
  • USA, NY, New York
Some still photos with the registration plate and interior.
Thanks,
Rich

1966 Mercedes 230SL (Euro model)