Author Topic: Hood release lever -- came apart from cable  (Read 1667 times)

stratamarr

• Junior Level
  • USA, MA, Sherborn
Hood release lever -- came apart from cable
« on: September 05, 2023, 00:08:03 »
Ok so it happened to me like other owners on this site. I pulled the hood release and the handle came apart from the cable. I was able to pull the cable with a pair of needle nose pliers and thankfully the hood popped open. But is there a way to reattach the lever to the cable, or do I have to buy a brand new cable. I'm not sure how/if I can reattach it? I've not found information on how the level reattaches, or even if I should just bite the bullet and buy a new cable.

'69 280sl
'99 SLK230

DavidAPease

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Chico
Re: Hood release lever -- came apart from cable
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2023, 00:33:31 »
I have no familiarity with this piece, but just from looking at your photo, here's what I think I see:
  • The cable does not appear broken or even damaged
  • The release lever appears to have a "hole" in it to receive the end of the cable, just like a brake lever on a bicycle
So it seems to me that you may just have to move the lever down to the point where you can slip the round end of the cable back into the lever from the side, then align the bare cable into the slot coming from the hole.

I could be wrong, but this looks like an easy thing to try, and perhaps a very easy fix.

-David
-David Pease
 '66 230SL (Originally sold in Paris)

mclewis

• Senior
  • USA, NJ, Saddle River
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 03:17:04 »
I had this problem a while ago. If I remember correctly, the knob at the end of the cable fits in a receptacle on the inside (the side against the footwell) of the lever. In your picture one can see the opening in which the cable fits. 

It took a while for me to align the lever and the cable end.  After many attempts and much frustration I was able to get the knob in place and have had no further problems.
Marc Lewis
1968 280SL 728H/728H, 248, 746
2020 C300
2021 E450 All Terrain

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 06:40:35 »

stratamarr

• Junior Level
  • USA, MA, Sherborn
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 15:45:47 »
Thanks all. After a bit of struggle aligning the cable channel on the bracket which holds the release and at the same time twisting the lever so it falls in place with the knob, I got it back on. Theres still a clicking sound coming from the lever when I pull on it but for now it wirks.

For good measure I greased all the moving areas around the latch and the whole assembly feels a lot smoother.
'69 280sl
'99 SLK230