Author Topic: Firewall insulation  (Read 7869 times)

n/a

Firewall insulation
« on: July 12, 2004, 23:31:45 »
Hello everyone

I've just bought a new firewall insulation pad for my 230SL. Before I go charging at this like a bull at a gate, has anyone replaced this pad? Any suggestions to offer?

Thanks, as always

Mark

1965 230 SL light blue, auto, RHD

hauser

Re: Firewall insulation
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 00:50:10 »
Is it pre cut? If not I would suggest making a template first.

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

n/a

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 02:05:55 »
It is pre-cut although the template was taken from a 280 SL so hopefully it will fit.

Mark

Ben

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 07:03:24 »
Mark can you tell me where you got it. I have a '64 230SL RHD and have never seen one listed before despite various enquiries, mine is missing totally ?

How much and where ??

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

graphic66

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 07:18:59 »
This is not a quick Saturday afternoon job. It requires the removal of a number of items that pass through the pad. From memory some of those are tach cable, temp. sending unit, speedo cable, and if you have air conditioning those hoses need to be disconnected and the unit recharged.

Start by removing all things that pass through the holes and then super cleaning the area so it is very clean and smooth. You may need some new rubber grommets for the firewall here and there, now is the time.

I used Weldwood gel contact cement applied to both surfaces with a paint brush and let it set 15 minutes before application of the pad to the car. Be sure to completely test fit the pad before this step and bevel and trim the edges of the pad where you need to, also use a pencil to trace the pad to the firewall so you have a guide to apply the glue.

I found also that sealing the edges of the exposed jute material with the Weldwood left a more durable and better looking job. when you apply the pad start at the top edge and roll it down into place, a helper can be good at this time. Be very careful to start in the correct place as repositioning is hard with the contact cement.

The job is easy and rewarding but does take some time and patience to complete. Also some have reported using construction adhesive that will allow repositioning during instalation, I have no experience with it though. Mine has been on about 3 years and is still on perfect. Also some have reported pulling the jute backing off for a thinner more "original" look to the pad. Take your time and get all the parts together and the job wiil be easy.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 08:35:47 »
Hi, Ben,
Kevin O'Keefe, a Gullwing restorer in Surrey can cut you one.Tel: +44 883 626 721
The classic place in Australia who sell the door check roller kits also do a die cut one. Let me know if you need the addr.

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

A Dalton

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 08:39:23 »
Someone should make a template so we could cut our own.......
 Be more than happy to buy the temp and use my own material

TA250SL

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 20:14:38 »
I used a heavy-duty spray adhesive purchased from SL-Tech, manufactured by Wurth products.  Sprayed back of insulation, then sprayed previously masked firewall, then a second coat on the insulation. After a few minutes to allow it to set up, place it into position with a helper, starting at the top.  Trial fit the piece before you start to be sure it will fit perfectly.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 22:24:30 by TA250SL »

n/a

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 22:48:20 »
Ben

I bought mine from MB Classic Classic Spares here in Sydney. It is a die cut pad that is quite thin. It cost me $50 here which would be a bit under 30 Euro. The web address is:

http://www.mbclassic.com.au/Contents.htm

Mark

Ben

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 02:32:02 »
Thanks Naj, thanks Mark !!

Another item ticked off my list !!

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

bob66542

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 15:43:20 »
i just recently did this on my 65,got the pad from ray at sl classics in ny, pre cut, about $75 if i remember correctly. mine had slots cut in it for everything except heater hoses, which i was changing anyway. i used contact cement, and it fit beautifully. 1 thing i will warn u, he told me the orig. material has not been avail. for years. what he has is close, but the grain is somewhat different.-bob

65 SL 230 4-sp. purchase 12-08-03

Mike Heagney

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 04:39:52 »
Hi Mark,
Just posted the following on another forum.It is more directed at the restoration process;hope someone finds it useful.

I have made a new firewall insulation pad using a combination of 5mm felt-backed vinyl fixed to 5mm double sided foam sheet. It looks very close to the original and is constructed in the same manner (as the original) with the advantage of materials of superior quality, and is the thickness of the original, as most replacements I've seen are too thin.

My car is being restored so the firewall is stripped out, which appears essential if trying to make a template.in one piece.
Making a paper template against the metal firewall will not transpose onto the insulation and fit correctly, as the extra 10mm thickness of material layed over the curved firewall requires a larger surface area.

To make a template 10mm thick I used two sheets of 5mm thick bubble wrap.Use the transparent type.The firewall must have the old material removed. Tape the edge of a 5mm sheet against the edge of the upper drainage channel (bubble side down), and using a marker pen trace the shape and holes, cutouts ,etc,  of the original insulation.Cut out unwanted bits.This is now the template for the first layer , the double sided foam sheet.

After cutting out the foam with the template(use sharp scissors),re-attach the template to the firewall. Now lay second sheet of bubble wrap over this, trace and cut out unwanted bits. This is now the template for the vinyl/felt material.

After the vinyl has been cut to shape,it can be glued to the rubber sheet with heat resistant contact glue.Put greaseproof paper between the glued surfaces to allow true alignment.Bring surfaces together by sliding out the paper,starting from one end,checking alignment as you go.

Your new insulation pad can now be fixed to firewall using the same contact glue. Use paper as before to ensure true alignment when fixing to car.

If you use the bulk uncut factory pad insulation, your template will be the outer (or second) bubble wrap template.

Good luck,
Mike.
Brooklet. NSW., Australia.
64  230 SL auto  RHD (in bits).

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 22:40:53 »
It's actually harder to put on right than it looks. Start with the smaller piece and do it first then do the bigger piece last so the split will line up and stay straight.
I use a pice of waxed paper under the pad to get it into position and then slide the paper out once I have it where I want it.

Daniel G Caron
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

TA250SL

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 13:14:26 »
Pre-cut firewall insulation for RHD cars is now available from SLS in Germany.  The item is illustrated under "new parts" on their website.

Tom

mal

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 12:00:34 »
Where can I get the material for the firwall insullation?
 I would like to cut it my self
Thanks

Malek Mrowa - Beirut, Lebanon.
280SL 71- Light Blue-/Blue
190SL 61 - Silver/Red

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 12:15:24 »
Malek,
If you order one from MB, they supply a big piece (6'x4' roughly). that you can cut yourself. Comes as two layers bonded together.
Sorry, part # not to hand.
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 12:16:12 by naj »
68 280SL

Ben

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2004, 03:39:36 »
I ordered mine from Socrim in Italy for my RHD '64 230SL. I think it was about €75.00 and took about 2 weeks to reach me.

I havent fitted it yet but I matched it up, my car has no firewall insulation at the moment, and it all looks good. Only slight problem is it has the cut out for the firewall grommet, but my '64 doesn't have this feature. I forgot to specify that I didn't want it.

One thing I plan to do before installation is to paint the exposed cut edges of the material black which I think will look better.

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004, 06:38:19 »
Firewall Pad Bulk, Part number 000 983 42 91, size 1.2m x 1.0 m, enough for 3 cars.

It is genuine MB so will be available from any MB supplier.  

The Pad is not very flexible and is quiet heavy.

If you buy it Internationally watch out for freight charges because it comes in a HUGE Box. Imagine a bicycle sized box.

I Bought the Pad and other parts and the freight cost was more than the parts.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL, auto
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

mal

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004, 10:56:14 »
Thank You All,
It's actually for a 1965 250SE Convertible (W111) that I got, but could'nt find a source for a pre-cut pad.
Thanks Again

Malek Mrowa - Beirut, Lebanon.
280SL 71- Light Blue-/Blue
190SL 61 - Silver/Red
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 10:58:44 by mal »