Author Topic: A good writeup on a link off the Australian Carsales network  (Read 2438 times)

Yem

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a wonderful Easter break and are back fully refreshed whatever you may be doing.

Although the exerpts in this article (March 2006) have been possibly seen in many forms I found this brief summary well presented and it is also fairly rare to find in the Australian W113 scene and much more prominent in the US or Europe.

Happy reading:

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2006/mercedes-benz/sl/mercedes-benz-sl-3884?WT.z_cs_clicksrc=stock-details&csn_tn=true

Yem
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:53:58 by Yem »

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
Re: A good writeup on a link off the Australian Carsales network
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 20:07:43 »
Yem,
very nice story. I just realised how little changed since it was written. Also it gives an interesting perception of Pagodas, or should I actually say that it perpetrates the stereotype that people have developed towards our dear cars ;)
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

batman

Re: A good writeup on a link off the Australian Carsales network
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 22:07:08 »
Thanks Yem. An interesting read.

Over, say, the last 6 months, I would see on average 1 pagoda per week being driven around Melbourne or surrounds, (typically on the weekend it must be said). In that time I have only seen one being driven by a "lady", (in the rain at dusk mid-week, so maybe she was a daily driver!).

Having said that if you look at the old advertising materials women seem to feature fairly prominently, both driving them and as passengers (which is of course is advertising coding for "buy the car get the girl"). Clearly women owners were targeted. I am not sure same for Jag or Porsche in the 1960's but I could be wrong. The Pagoda is more understated and has a bit of a feline presence to it and maybe that appealed more to women than some other, less driver friendly, sporting cars of the 1960's.