Author Topic: running on empty  (Read 4551 times)

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
running on empty
« on: August 28, 2013, 06:48:09 »
Since I was separated from the Pagoda since June I had a friend give it a run while I was away ... he just started it and let it run for awhile since he is not comfortable with a manual gearbox.  When I got back to Southern California and started the car I realized the fuel gauge was on empty.  The good news is that my Low Fuel Warning Light functions!  I didn't know I had a light. The bad news was that the car barely ran ... coughing, sputtering etc.  I put 6 gallons of fuel in and tried to drive it locally to see if it would improve ... it did improve but only marginally.  Risky to drive it anywhere as it almost died a few times.

So ... my first thought was to drain the tank.  I expected crud in the tank and expected a mucked-up screen.  The screen/drain plug was shockingly clean and after draining all the fuel and inspecting the tank from the fuel sending unit access I could not find much sediment or flakes or much anything.  I was able to collect about half a teaspoon of sediment from the drained fuel. After putting it all back together and filtering the fuel, the car ran just as bad!  >:(     The screen at the bottom of the tank is very very fine and appeared in excellent condition so my thinking was that it could not have let any junk through. I was beginning to think it might not be a fuel issue since the tank looked good and the screen was clean.

I recalled that Rudy "rodolfo" on this forum had an issue with running on empty and his car running poorly so I asked him how he resolved it.  He advised that he just replaced the main fuel filter in the engine bay and the issue was gone.  Thanks Rudy!

So today I learned how to replace the main fuel filter ... and thanks to the information on this forum was able to accomplish the job.  Many pieces of information were so helpful. For example: How easily a fire can start in this area since the battery and coil are so close that any tool can easily trigger a spark.  I read that it's very difficult to keep the rubber seal in place so use some grease.  Wow, I tried this without grease and it is not possible, the grease trick absolutely worked.  I read that since my car has power steering, I must perform much of the work from below. I learned that many find that the canister bolt will leak and to just snug up a little more if it does, and to use the bleed bolt on the housing to let the air out until fuel flows and to hold the accelerator pedal down and just crank and crank as it takes a while to get the fuel lines filled before it will start.

The canister had very little sediment, just barely enough that I could wipe the canister clean.  However, after doing all this, and installing the new filter, the car started and the symptoms are gone. :)   Even though the first line of defense -- the tank screen -- was clean, the main paper filter was clearly clogged.  The tank also has no visible signs of crud or rust ... it just looks clean, but the paper filter still clogged up.

Thanks to all those who wrote about their problems and those who responded with solutions and ideas and safety concerns ... your advice from years ago continues to help!  We really have some great folks on this forum. 

Sorry, no sexy photos for a fuel issue ... just a dirty filter shot.

( I do have a non-related problem and may be seeking some assistance after a little more testing and will post it separately as I think I have a vacuum leak)
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Rodolfo

Re: running on empty
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:58:34 »
Glad I could help you. I also had several times good help from the forum as well.

best regards, Rudy

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:32:22 »
I let my tank get low a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to see the friendly glow of the low fuel lamp. I, too, hadn't expected there to be a lamp. It looked very much like a modern LED!
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 20:32:55 »
The fuel filter is quite large because it is constantly filtering fuel when ever the key is on.  You can empty the whole fuel tank in less than 1/2 hour just by using the fuel pump. It takes a lot of dirt to plug a filter that large.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

jerrycastillo

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:58:51 »
Hello!

First time changing the fuel filter...Do I have to depressurize the system before loosening the fuel filter canister? (I do this in other cars; just remove the fuel pump fuse and let it run dry...) Thank you for any advise on the matter!

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 12:06:17 »
Oz, don't forget there is a fuel filter in the electric fuel pump as well.  You'll need to clamp off the fuel line going to the fuel pump, remove the fuel line from the pump and then unscrew the intake.  You can see it in the tech manual.

Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 14:21:00 »
Your filter may have not been plugged. You may have just given some gunked-up spark plugs time to clean themselves up.  These engines do not respond well to long periods of idle and multiple start-ups without being driven.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 14:57:03 »
Folks --- your responses, as always, are appreciated --- but my post was from a year and half ago  ;D --- and I should have closed it out on this thread.  I did write a new thread back then titled "mystery solved" --- the issue was solved when I finally found a frayed wire to the coil. 

This thread was resurrected today by "Jerrycastillo"  asking about the need to depressurizing the system.  I don't recall any pressure in the system.

250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam