Author Topic: Boot/trunk lid retaining springs/ torsion bar  (Read 4711 times)

Olazz

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Rabley Heath
Boot/trunk lid retaining springs/ torsion bar
« on: April 18, 2014, 13:52:47 »
Does any one have any idea of how the two retaining springs in the boot/trunk should be attached and align,  in order for the boot to remain up when opened and the softop cover to close when the boot is open.

This is not a conventional spring per se, bit two long wires under tension that run across the rear bulkhead on the inside upper part of the boot from left to right.

Mine have come undone, and I cannot for the life of me figure out a solution that doesn't bind and damage the bodywork.

Can't seem to find any detail on installation on this site or anywhere else.

Anyone here have any idea?

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:23:58 by olazz »

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Re: Boot/trunk lid retaining springs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 14:02:19 »
Quote from: olazz
..../...the two retaining springs in the boot/trunk should be attached.../...  Can't seem to find any detail on installation on this site.../...
Dear anonymous,
We have a section named "Technical manual" on this Forum. Go in there, under body/trunk and then "Softtopcover and Trunk Hinge Torsion Rod Removal" which will have useful info for yourself
/hans in Sweden
/Hans S

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 17:09:32 »
olazz,

If you decide to make the tool for the spring removal and installation and have problems, let me know.  I still have the tool that I made and photographed.  I can take other photos or even disassemble the tool and scan or measure the tool parts individually.  I just reread the procedure and realize that it is a confusing project.  If I can help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Apparently others have managed to remove the springs without the tool or with a different tool, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.  That's why I made the tool shown in the Technical Manual.

If you figure out easier ways to do the task, please, please post them here so we can discuss them and try to improve the Technical Manual procedure.

Tom Kizer

Apparently late 1966 230SL 4-spd manual (Italian Version)
Owned since 1987 and wrapping up a full rotisserie restoration/modernization.
Was: Papyrus White 717G with Turquoise MBtex 112 and Kinderseat
Is: Dark Blue 332G with Dark Blue Leather (5300, I think)

Olazz

• Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 17:28:16 »
Tom, and Hans,

Thank you very much for the help, I will try again and see if I can make sense of the routing as I'm obviously missing something simple.

Thank you both again.

Lazz

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 17:34:44 »
olazz,

Since yours is disconnected, you are definitely working at a disadvantage when trying to understand how it works.  I had to remove the two lids and exercise the hinges in order to eventually get a grasp on how the springs work to keep the two lids from crashing into one another and damaging the paintwork.  That's why, when the trunk lid opens, the soft top compartment lid is forced to close.

Tom Kizer

Olazz

• Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 07:22:37 »
Ok guys, I managed to get one side sorted, and thats the left had side where the torsion bar is attached to the softop cover, s the cover closes when the boot opens.

The right hand side, has a secondary torsion bar that I'm guessing allows the boot/trunk lid to spring upwards.

It has a double S which runs behind the locating pivot, but I just cannot figure out how/where the short hook end of the torsion bar attaches to anything.

Does anyone have a clear photograph of how this is attached.

I have read and looked  at the pics in the tech sec referred to above, but mine doesn't seem to appear to be the same. I have the spare wheel in the boot at RHS.

280sl, US spec 1968

Thanks again for the help.

Lazz 

Olazz

• Regular
Re: Boot/trunk lid retaining springs/ torsion bar
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 10:17:01 »
Right guys, finally figured it out.

Thank you for help and direction.

Lazz

Tomnistuff

• Gold
  • Canada, Qc, Levis
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 13:17:12 »
Lazz,

How did you manipulate the spring rods?  Did you use some sort of tool?  If so, what did you use?  I cannot believe that a tool as complicated as I made is necessary, but I couldn't figure out any other way.  Maybe I had blinders on.  It wouldn't be the first time that I did something the hard way.  Can you explain how you did it?

Tom Kizer

Olazz

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 20:28:54 »
Hi Tom,

I think I jumped the gun there a bit... thought I'd got it sorted, but the torsion bar sprung loose and damaged the body and cracked the paintwork!!! Not a happy chap tonight..

A rethink needed before I tackle it again .

Will keep this thread updated as I go along, because I WILL sole it for sure.

Lazz