Author Topic: Stain on top of door panels  (Read 7363 times)

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
Stain on top of door panels
« on: January 17, 2013, 19:50:30 »
My 69 280SL is very original low mileage Mercedes. One project I had been working on was cleaning up the interior. This car has set for a couple years so there was lots to clean. When I first brought home the car last April I cleaned the door panels with vinyl cleaner (MBTEX). I was trying to remove some dark brown stain on the top of both door panels. When I used a little Greased Lighting it removed quite a bit of the stain but not completely. I decided to remove the door panels to see what caused the stain. I thought there would be some corrosion but, I found that the vinyl was glued to the aluminum tops of the door panel nice and neat. See photos... I did notice that the glue that was used was very dark brown and wondered if that was what was coming through. There is stain both doors.
I wanted to ask if anyone else has had this problem and is there any other cleaning options I should try?
Thanks
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
Re: Stain on top of door panels
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 19:51:50 »
More photos that show back side of door panels.
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

KevinC

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 20:37:09 »
I have not experienced this specific problem but believe this might be a similar issue...the horn pad on ivory steering wheels has a tendency to turn brown over time. It doesn't happen all at one but in spots that just grow larger and larger. I had bleached and even lightly sanded mine from the outside and that seemed to help but only temporarily. I took my pad to the local "trim shop" and they felt that the glue used at the factory was leeching through from the backing. Seeing that your interior is so light in color, it might be showing up more readily while not so much with dark interiors. I would go to a local interior shop that has some experience with cars of our era. If its truly a stain, I dont know if you will ever get rid of it, unfortunately. 

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 22:20:56 »
One thing I have found to be quite efficient on clean up (but not too sure about stains as you mention) is Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pads. These are just great little things for all kinds of clean up chores, you may already have one in the kitchen already. As we all of these types of experiments, try a hidden or covered area to be sure. I think Kevin C may be on target about the overall clean up of the stain, as he types, unfortunately.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:29:49 »
And if all else fails there is a really good article here

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Interior/SteeringWheel

on refinishing the hub as demonstrated at PUB 2009/11? by Larry and Alfred..
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:09:59 »
This may sound like a crass solution but you could also spray paint it provided you can get a match on the colour and the fabric itself isn't showing any wear.  I did this to my head liner about 2 years ago.  It was badly stained so I found a vinyl spray paint that matched the existing colour, removed all the trim, taped off the rest and put on several light coats of spray paint.  It now looks brand new and the paint is specially formulated to bond with the vinyl fabric so it is as pliable as the vinyl it is covering.  I know others have done this with their head liners because that is where I got the idea.  Very inexpensive solution to stained fabric.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:26:01 »
Thanks for the good replys.
Tried the eraser and it was too abrasive. Since I believe the stain is coming from the aluminum base trim I would think you would wear out the vinyl with the abrasive.
The painting the door panel is a great idea if I can get a match.
If in fact the stain is consistent with an unrestored vehicle I would leave it as is, so seeing other vehicles with the same type stain would be very informative.
Thanks......
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

LakisAkylas

• Regular
  • USA, MA, Newton
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 14:23:18 »
My 1971 280 SL has its original door panels in grey MB Tex. The top of driver's side panel has a stain very similar to yours. I have tried to clean it several times without success.

Lakis Akylas

'71 280 SL 4 speed, Anthracite/grey tex 

dpreston Virginia

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Salem
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 16:32:45 »
My 1971 280 SL has its original door panels in grey MB Tex. The top of driver's side panel has a stain very similar to yours. I have tried to clean it several times without success.

Lakis Akylas

'71 280 SL 4 speed, Anthracite/grey tex 

Lakis (or other owners with the same type stain) can you post a couple photos of your door panel stain?
Thanks for your help!
190SL 1960 Sold
280SL 1969
280SE 1969 cabriolet
Vette 67
Porsche 912 67

FRITZ68

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 22:59:32 »
At one time I was in the drycleaning business, specializing in refinishing leathers.  If the stain is glue coming through the material, it cannot be removed.  In fact if any type of solvent is used to remove the stain, the glue will spread and worsen.  Sanding with an abrasive block is an idea, but I wouldn't take a chance.  I agree that the best and maybe the only option is to spray paint the area with a paint that is designed to cover vinyl or leather (is it vinyl, leather, or cloth?).  If vinyl or leather, spraying would be the best option. If cloth, there are probably no options other than replacement in my opinion.  Locating the correct color is not easy.  

We had a similar problem on my 1962 Mercedes 220SEb in that the leather was all faded and stained on one door panel.  We use SEM products for such issues. The maroon that we had was too dark and the dark red that we had was not even close.  By careful blending (spraying one color over the other in light mists) we were able to get it to the point that it matched the rest of the car.  We painted the entire door panel however, as felt certain that we would not be able to blend it in with the original.  Attached picture shows the door of the '62 Mercedes SEb prior to our spraying as explained to above.  Sorry no after pictures at this time.

Back to the glue problem.  Last year I was installing a trunk lining material in my 1954 Buick and the spray glue that I used was too strong (was for carpet, not upholstery).  I ruined the section (glue bled through the lightweight material) and I had to order 1 more yard of material at $85 per yard ,and sew in a replacement section. I then used 3M spary adhesive, which emits a finer mist and is not as active as the carpet spray cement.  Even then I was very careful not to spray too much glue at once, allowing some time between coats.  We were preparing the car for national judging and got into a last-minute crisis (almost).  Attached picture shows the trunk after completion.  The area that had to be replaced is shown directly above the fire extinguisher.  The car received 400 points out of a possible 400 points at Charlotte last summer.  I do all of my own trunk linings and carpets, some uphostery and door panels, but not convertible tops or head liners.

Fritz
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 23:42:32 by FRITZ68 »