Author Topic: Heater core bypass hose  (Read 4240 times)

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Leeds
Heater core bypass hose
« on: August 28, 2010, 14:31:48 »
 I was thinking of doing the heater bypass hose, Has anybody got a photo of where the best place is to put it, I dont want it to look amaturish, or just advice will do.
Reg
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

DavidBrough

Re: Heater core bypass hose
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 16:58:36 »
Hi Reggie,

It's quite straight forward, all you need is a length of hose, two T pieces and a tap. I purchased my bits from here http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/ All you do is cut into the heater feed by the IP pump and the exit by the brake servo as per the pictures. Hope that makes sense.

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 17:17:57 »
Hi David
Mine is left hand drive, but i think i can work it out, I thought it would be up near the bulkhead which wouldnt look very nice, I see you have an electric fan,  what do you think of it, is it worth while ?
Reg
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 18:11:17 »
Reggie,

I am curious why you want to bypass the heater core.  Is it because your heater does not work?  Even if the heater does not work (mine doesn't) what are the benefits or advantages to bypassing the heater.  If anyone else knows please add your comments.  Thanks
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

DavidBrough

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 18:45:17 »
Hi Reggie,

It's a long story about the electric fan which I fitted to keep the car cool when I installed A/C. The one in the picture proved too small so I now have two which work well and keep the car cool with the A/C on.

Jordan,

The heater bypass helps keeps the engine cool when the heater is off by allowing greater water flow. A tap is installed in the bypass so that the heater can receive full flow in winter. MB sold a similar set up in the day when overheating proved to be a problem with early 280's.

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 19:44:11 »
David
Thank you, I too have air con, At the moment my car is in the paint shop, I saw it today its almost finnished, I was having a look while the front bumper and grill is off, Ime not surprised they run warm with all that aircon stuff blocking the grill,
Jordan
My temp starts creeping up in traffic, but ive noticed it stays bang in the middle when the heater valve is open, So i read about that mod on here and thought il give it a try, seeing its not a major job, thats all, no problem otherwise, I do feel like junking that aircon stuff tho, But it came with the car, so i think il put up with it
Reg
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g