Author Topic: Engineering tag help  (Read 8699 times)

Jim Donati

Engineering tag help
« on: June 12, 2010, 22:48:20 »
I would appreciate any photos to help clarify the placement of 2 of my engineering stickers on my 1970 280SL.

"Rear Axle Oil Change  A and B service"  --Bob Geco supplied me with two stickers but my car only had one when I bought it a year ago.  Are both to be applied and if so where do each go?  The photo I took (see attached) is of my car before paint job showing only one.  Is this the correct location for both stickers?  Anybody have photos showing proper placement?

"Blue ATE brake booster sticker" --  Geco's description and photos match those in the Technical Manual, but my brake booster already had a blue ATE sticker, smaller and in a different (see attached) location.   Now I am not sure if I should apply the T51 3.6157-0303.4 sticker or not.  What do the numbers signify?

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
Re: Engineering tag help
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 01:41:30 »
I believe my booster (1968 280sl) is original, the (faded but intact) yellow paint daubs are still in place on the mounting studs.

On my booster a larger ATE sticker is at about 3 o'clock on the front face of the booster. It is oriented vertcally and readable by someone standing at the left side of the car. This would be about between the brake fluid reservoir and the washer fluid reservoir, referring to your last picture. If no one comes up with better information, I will try to take a picture tommorow

Gus
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:44:03 by 69280sl »
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

Jim Donati

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 02:28:58 »
Gus:
So are there two stickers on your booster?

Jim

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 09:00:22 »
I put the Rear Axle tag on the "A" pillar, between the two door hinges, that way it is easy to see from the drivers seat when the door is opened. I do not have access (traveling) to the guide sheet I used.

Will need corroboration.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 04:04:50 »
Jim:

No, just one sticker on the front face. It is larger and different than what you show in your picture. Blue with white lettering and showing ATE information. Will try for a photograph tommorow.
Gus
Gus

Jim Donati

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 04:16:28 »
thanks gus,
I will patiently await further documentation or pictures.
Jim

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 16:20:52 »
Jim: By the time I figure out how to post pictures here, you probably wont need the info, so I'm putting them on photobucket. Links below

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/inspectorgm/Pagoda%20SL/100_0609.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/inspectorgm/Pagoda%20SL/100_0608.jpg

Gus
Gus

Jim Donati

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 16:33:41 »
Thanks Gus, your comments and pictures are very helpful.   

Anybody else have pictures to share?  I am still not sure why the numbers are different and what the numbers mean on the stickers?  Does anyone care to try and explain what the numbers on these stickers mean.
Jim

Rolland

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 22:11:22 »
I thought this would be a good place to ask this question.  Most of the stickers, decals, etc have been removed from my Pagoda.  I see I can get replacements through Millers.  Are their other sources and is their a description of where they should be located?  (I didn't see anything in the tehnical manual)

Thanks,

Rolland

Jim Donati

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 23:31:06 »
I bought mine from Bob Geco. He is listed as. Vendor/supplier in the tech manual. There is also good info in the tech manual / engineering tags with pictures and all. Bob supplied information on where to apply most, but I just needed clarification on a couple of them. Overall very pleased with his product.
Jim

Rolland

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 19:50:26 »
Thanks Jim, I appreciate it.  I'll be getting in touch with Bob when it get closer to having mine out of the paint booth (maybe in a 2-3 weeks)

Rolland

Jim Donati

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 03:16:57 »
Still looking for a picture or two of exactly where to place the "Rear Axle Oil Change" stickers.   I am still confused where they belong to be true to original. 
Is there supposed to be 1, or 2 placed on the car?

Also, just in case anyone is interested, I am still trying to get any explanation that might be shared on what relevance the Numbers mean on the white on blue brake booster stickers.

thanks
Jim

al_lieffring

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 13:47:54 »
The service stickers came in the owner's scheduled maintainnce booklet and were placked in the driver's door jamb by the shop after the service was done. So there is no exact placement for these, Most times they were sutck in the door jamb just above the door switch.

Jim Donati

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 14:03:50 »
Al:
That makes sense. Thank you for providing that explanation
Jim