Author Topic: 230Sl : Engine Block to Alloy Sump Gasket  (Read 4732 times)

paul_GB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Waterlooville
230Sl : Engine Block to Alloy Sump Gasket
« on: February 16, 2010, 16:16:24 »
Gents,

This may well be a dumb question.. Is there a gasket for mating the block (lower surface) to the cast alloy sump housing...? I am rebuilding my engine (soon) and i've just bought a 'block' gasket set and it has no such gasket.  Is this supposed to be sealed with a gasket sealant (like hermitite or similar)..? ??? Note, I do have the gasket for the oil 'pan' in the set.

I cant see any remnants of old gasket on the block/alloy casting..

Thanks
Paul
Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: 230Sl : Engine Block to Alloy Sump Gasket
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 23:20:47 »
I just looked through the engine part books for 230 SL (I have A and B) and there is no gasket shown or listed.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

DavidBrough

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:40:42 »
My manual says to use sealing compound "Teroson-Atmosit" DBL6091 whatever that is.

paul_GB

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Waterlooville
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 20:56:54 »
Thanks for the feedback guys. I also spoke with SLS in Germany today and they advised a sealing compound needs to be used for this joint. Thats another query solved  :D.. on with the rebuild.

Another point.. does anyone have any tips on cleaning the cast alloy parts (sump, gearbox plate etc).? Ive seen some photos of very clean engine alloy on this site and wonder what the trick is.

Cheers
Paul
Paul
1964 230SL - Dark Blue

geezer

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 23:02:46 »
Please keep in mind that it has been several decades since I have had the pan down on a MB engine.  As I recall the aluminum casting to the cylinder block is sealed with Permatex Aviation sealer.  I use that between any 2 machined surfaces that do not require a gasket.  I would avoid using silicone between machined surfaces.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Aviation_Form-A-Gasket_No_3_Sealant_a.htm