Author Topic: fuel sender problem  (Read 4850 times)

xcashewx

fuel sender problem
« on: September 22, 2009, 22:09:49 »
my fuel sender started to act weird and eventually stopped working. i took out the sender , and took it apart to find the fine "U" shaped wire in two pieces.
i replaced the wire with a basic strand of copper wire but now it only shows a full tank all the time. i noticed the original wire was very thin and silver.
is there a certain type or thickness of wire needed to function correctly? judging by the structure of the sender it looks like the guage works off resistance values.

xcashewx

Re: fuel sender problem
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 00:57:27 »
thanks for the advice. id like to see if it could be repaired, as its not a very complicated piece of equipment, but if thats not possible ill end up buying a used one from you

al_lieffring

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 15:54:48 »
I tried to fix my old sensor, I took apart every wire coil type rheostat that I could find and never found one with wire that had the correct resistance to make the gage work. Bought a new sensor and it worked great. It also eliminated the bouncing needle that the fuel gage always had since I first got the car 30+ years ago.

vaqua55

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 21:58:53 »
The wire provides variable resistance.  By replacing it with a piece of copper wire you have effectively given it so much continuity that it will always think it is full.   It's a goner.  Your choices are:
1) buy one from Mercedes - I think it's about $170
2) buy one from some other vender - I think it's about $100
3) buy a used one at the junk yard if you can find one - that's about $7 and then hopefully it can be cleaned
4) buy a used one that is cleaned and tested from me (and I include a new gasket).   Probably around $45 + postage.
Scott

Hi SCott,
Can I buy a used and tested one from you as mine is completely rusted and trash :) my email is vaqua55@gmail.com

Thanks

Vasko

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 22:49:38 »
Hi -
I need to retract my offer to sell fuel senders - it was a post that didn't belong here.  Send me PM if you want to talk about them further.   Thanks and apologies for improper commercial posting.
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

vaqua55

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 16:00:17 »
Hi SCott,

PM send and hope you received it otherwise you can email me at vaqua55@gmail.com

Sorry about the improper posting as well!

Vasco