Author Topic: Protecting Capillary Tube  (Read 3695 times)

Mike

Protecting Capillary Tube
« on: August 25, 2009, 11:57:46 »
Has anyone had occasion to try to install rubber or some other protective coating to the capillary tube that operates the temperature gauge?  This thin tube contains ether and is covered in black plastic.   It runs along the left side of the valve cover and into the block toward the front of the engine. 

I was trying to straighten some kinks in it and the plastic was so brittle it just disintegrated in my hands.  Luckily, the capillary tube inside is still intact and the temp gauge still works.  I am afraid that if I do not do something to protect it that it will eventually break all the way through at some point. 

I thought of the heat shrink rubber tubing used on electrical lines but discarded the idea due to concerns about exposing the ether to that much heat.  I might try some air hose like that used in aquariums and such.  If I do that, I will likely slice it longitudinally in order to slip it over the tube without the need for disconnecting anything.  I wondered whether anyone else has come up with a better solution.  I'd hate to have tear my dash apart to pull the temperature gauge in order to send it off to repair a broken capillary tube.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Protecting Capillary Tube
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:24:08 »
Hi, Mike,

You can use spiral wire wrap.
There is some round the wires in the picture

naj
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 14:18:33 by naj »
68 280SL

Allenh

Re: Protecting Capillary Tube
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 20:58:47 »
It is only new and pretty once.  And I have never seen shrink tube with enough shrinkage to fit over the coupling and shrink even close to the tube diameter.  I used some self fusing tape and applied it as neat as possible.  It came out acceptable and the tube is not the first thing we notice upon opening the bonnet,  protection is the prime concern.

At least that is my opinion.

Allen