Author Topic: Starter?  (Read 9660 times)

halman2228

Starter?
« on: June 10, 2008, 20:37:23 »

'67 230-

Has decided it will not crank (solenoid clicks but no cranking). It will crank & start with a jump from my '04 F150. Voltmeter reads 12.83 cold and not running, 14.6+ running.

Is it possible the starter is dying and needs more amps than the battery can give or should I be thinking battery first? I'm not any good at electrical, so I don't know the ins/outs of amperage/voltage relationships to how things work...

I read thru some threads and know about the "dead zones" the starters can develop; the Tech Manual we have going is still in the "google" content format but did mention the increased HP starter began late '60s and should be used for replacement...

Pointers from the expert gang here are appreciated (the wife won't get in it til this is taken care of  :D ).

Regards,
Kevin

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Starter?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 22:30:20 »
I'd be thinking Battery -- unless it is fairly new.
James
63 230SL

hill

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:58:28 »
Have the battery load tested first. Any chain auto parts store will test it for free if you bring it in. Being that you can jump it the starter is probably good.

graphic66

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:16:02 »
Could be just dirty battery connections. Try taking the battery post connections off and cleaning them. They get a thin film of black corrosion on them. That is probably your problem.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:25:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by graphic66

Could be just dirty battery connections. Try taking the battery post connections off and cleaning them. They get a thin film of black corrosion on them. That is probably your problem.

The same could be said for the connections at the starter, no?
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

James Stern

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 15:53:27 »
Some years ago I had a problem similar to this.  It was tracked down to a starter that was bad (flat?) in one spot.  Got the starer replaced and never had a problem since. :D

Jim Stern

graphic66

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 16:31:31 »
Probably not a bad connection at the starter. If it was jumping it probably wouldn't help. Could be a combo problem, weak battery and bad cable connections. I have seen more starters and alternators replaced because of bad battery connections than bad starters or alternators. And don't forget, if your alternator charging lamp doesn't come on when the key is on without the engine running you wont be charging. That little bulb must be working or your alternator will not charge.

halman2228

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 18:44:28 »
Still confused although I will probably put in a new battery just because - car is new to me 2 months ago. I bought it from a guy over in Austin who hadn't done anything except an oil change in the year that he had it (long story for another post - I'm the "official" third owner).

Anyways, what doesn't make sense is the meter readings (12.83 + 14.6 as mentioned - yes, alternator light shows so it confirms the 14.6 reading). As hill suggested, a load test would be in order which I gather to mean its possible the battery can hold the voltage to read good but not enough CCA to drive the starter?

Regards,
Kevin

philmas

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • France, Ile-de-France, Le Raincy
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 05:42:16 »
Yes, it is possible.The starter drains a lot of amps, and a weak battery could  read a correct voltage and still be unable to hold a heavy load, because we're talking about CURRENT and not TENSION. ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:43:55 by philmas »
Philippe from Paris
Euro '71 280SL manual 4sp

graphic66

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 07:01:00 »
Have you cleaned the battery posts yet? They can really restrict the amperage to the starter. Starters need amps, not volts. It sounds like your charging system is in order. Maybe you should take the ten minutes required to clean the battery posts and see what happens. I clean mine once a year and coat them with silicon dielectric compound. It really sounds like your problem. Also check your electrolyte level in your battery. Add distilled water if needed.

halman2228

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 13:01:58 »

Uh oh.. what have I fried?
Update (busy summer, haven't been able to attend to this for awhile)...

I put in a new battery a few weeks back and encountered the same "no crank" situation. Repeated turns of the key would get it off the dead spot and I was able to start it a couple of times after the new battery was in.

Yesterday, I tried the same thing and got her cranking but it wouldn't fire up (she's been sitting on my lift for about six weeks. Today, I give it a try and after a half dozen clicks of the solenoid, I lost all power. As in zip, nada, zilch. Nothing electrical works. Period. Battery has 12.7 volts

So - what have I wrought (what did I fry)? [:0]

Not sure I want to jumper it from another vehicle without knowing why there's no juice anywhere (and maybe start a fire...[/font=Arial}

Best regards,
Kevin

jacovdw

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 13:18:37 »
Have you considered the possibility that it might be your ignition switch (the electrical contacts on the back of the mechanism) that is worn out?

The contact block is available new from MB. There are quite a few threads that has dealt with the ignition switch issue.

halman2228

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 13:52:19 »

That's what I was thinking as well Jacov...

But hoping not. She has a Kuhlmeister in the way of getting at the switch. Does that explain why I have no power to anything whatsoever?  :?:

Meanwhile, I'll search for ignition switch testing/replacing.

Thanks & best regards,
Kevin

jacovdw

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 14:04:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by halman2228

...Does that explain why I have no power to anything whatsoever?...

I had a similar issue on my pagoda 3 years ago. I would turn the key and nothing would happen - no battery light or fuelpump running. That was in spite of a fully charged battery. Turned out to be a well worn switch unit. One thing to avoid is not to have a lot of weight (eg. bunch of keys or large key holder) on your key when in the ignition switch...

Regards,
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 14:10:30 by jacovdw »

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 21:20:24 »
Hello Kevin,

If you headlights will not come on, then it will be more than just your ignition switch. If you have some of those replacement battery cable ends on your car then this can be the issue. The "clamp" connection between the cable and the cable end corrodes and loses contact. The problem can come and go. Check to see if you have these replacement cable ends on your car. If so dis-assemble them and clean them.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

halman2228

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 06:30:42 »

Thanks Joe - I'll look at those as well (I do have the clamps you describe).

After Jaco posted, I squirted electric parts cleaner into the iginiton lock/switch and then some WD40 and ws able to briefly get some current but after turning it a couple of times, dead again.

I'll clean up those cable ends & clamps first but it really looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do the switch (Oh Joy!)

Best regards,
Kevin

halman2228

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 20:37:53 »

Update & Solution?...

Another new battery, new battery cable and everything works... for now.

I sent it out forgetting that I had put a new battery in it and let the shop pop a new one in along with the new cable -  :?:

Anyway, the SO will climb back in, so, I'm good to go...

Hurricane Ike put a whammy on me at the house (no fear - I had my cars over at a commercial parking garage, no damage!) so I'll just be driving it a little bit 'til winter sets in then address some other naggering issues (minor idle surge when applying brakes, carpet replacement, oil leaks....) In my spare time, I'll work on my 107s too... :D

Best regards and thanks for the pointers,
Kevin