Author Topic: glove box  (Read 4622 times)

gnj588d

glove box
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:33:27 »
Does anyone now where I can get the oval type chrome washer which the curved holding bar passes through when closing the glove box it does not seem to be listed anywhere :(Cheers Mike.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: glove box
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 09:37:18 »
Hi, Mike,

Check with Dave Gallon. I believe he had some made?

naj
68 280SL

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 21:27:04 »
Dave Gallon:

Do you have these?
Thanks

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:46:14 »
Dave,
I need one too.  Do you have any?
Bob
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
Glove box finishing ring
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:00:39 »
Quote from: gnj588d
Does anyone now where I can get the oval type chrome washer which the curved holding bar passes through when closing the glove box
In referral to the glove box of the W113 Pagoda, I enclose a text about it
/Hans in Sweden

The W113 glove compartment
The glove compartment on the W113 230/250/280SL is made like a box which fits into the dashboard. It is fastened with screws from the inside, top and bottom. The glovebox can be pulled out of the dash once the screws are removed. Make sure the glove box door is open when you remove or re-install it back into the dash. Also beware of electrical connection to the light fitted on the lid.

The long metal hinge is riveted with two flat alu rivets to the glove compartment housing. This serves to position the hinge during re-assembly.
When re-installing, make sure you line up the glove box door with the rest of the dash so it won’t chip the paint when closed. Also, you need to center it, so that the door shows even gaps on both sides when closed.

On the glove compartment lid, a light and a lock can be found. The light has a dual purpose. It serves both to give light into the compartment, as well as shining downwards to give light to map reading etc. The opening in the lid has a lens, focussing light when the hatch is in its opened position.

A curved rod is attached to the back of the glove compartment hatch, and the bar at the end of this rod has a coil spring with two forks as end pieces attached to it.
The spring has a snap-over function, first to keep the hatch closed, then when hatch is opened, spring works to keep it in horisontal position. The rod also serves as an end stop. This rod passes through a hole in the side of the glove compartment housing. Hole has an aluminium ring fitted, to finish hole off and cover glued vinyl (or leather as may be) at this point.

This ring is manufactured from soft aluminium, and it is missing on many W113 Pagoda cars. Ring tends to become damaged when removed, for example during restoration work on the interior. Small tabs hold the ring in position, these fold round the back of the opening in the glove compartment side. The tabs may break off, and then the ring will no longer stay in position.

This part is now made available by W113 enthusiasts, and can be ordered from David Gallon in the US,   E-mail >dgallon@cox.net<; or Naj Jesani in the UK >Naj.Jesani@blueyonder.co.uk<

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:02:26 by mbzse »
/Hans S