Author Topic: Poll: which other antique car do you own??  (Read 21001 times)

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
Re: Poll: which other antique car do you own??
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2003, 23:53:24 »
Oh, Dear.  Confession time.  We have a 1978 De Tomaso Longchamps, a 1970 E-type, my 1968 280SL, my 1985 6-series BMW, a Ford GT-40, and a 1968 Vette.  All but the Vette and the GT are regularly driven, but our daily driver in Europe is a 500SL.  You think YOU have an old-car problem.  You will know for sure when you start considering building an additional garage (we already have three).  But you know what?  The only one of all of the above that I would hate to let go is the 280.

By the way (different thread, I know, but I'm lazy today), I just returned from the Costa Verde in Portugal, where the mountains are accessible only by cobblestone winding roads.  Imagine my surprise when we reached the top of Braga at Bom Jesus (big gorgeous cathedral) and went to have lunch in the posh hotel.  Parked outside was an absolutely perfect ivory-coloured 190.  It had a Portugal plate, so it was a native.  God knows how long it will last on those roads, though.  After 20K kms, every bolt must be loose...

Trice
(cars listed above, guiltily...)

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal/bl leather, auto
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

n/a

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2003, 21:21:14 »
friends:
the question was asked which other classic would a
pagoda person own.  I must confess that I had to sell
my 64 230sl, and my 64 saab 96, but retained my 58
nash metropolitan convertible.  I sincerely miss the 230sl, but still have fun with the Met.  Having driven all three cars, I must say that the 230sl generated respect, the saab generated confusion and the Met generates love.

Bob G

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2003, 14:20:14 »
Well, I own a 1987 Ford 5.0. notch-bach Mustang all factory orginal paint & interior & engine &drive train. Some simple modifications to the suspension and drive train but baisly stock. It sits beside my 280SL. Both cars so very different one with great power and one with great fineese. Both give me enjoyment and pleasure through had I to pick one I fear my choice would be the mercedes like an old pipe its been in the family since the begining of my driving days and a friend who stories go far back in time. However that decision has not had to be made so both reside as neibors side by side to show my customers who Ohh with enjoyment at the pleasure to see this old Mercedes and a Mustang so clean. They are like childern althought I would have to say the SL is a spoiled child that lets you now when it is unhappy and must receive some attention. both I cherish and both shall I own  for quite some time to come.
 We will be adding shortly a 1992 300-E sport Black on black with 32,000 orginal miles. this will be my wifes much desired new car and my weekend driver.

Bob Geco

« Last Edit: October 30, 2003, 15:02:30 by Bob G »

n/a

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2003, 10:59:51 »
I'm new to this forum, so excuse my late post.
Besides my 68 280SL, I also have a 68 Camaro convertible. Maintaining and detailing both these cars, and my Harley, keeps me pretty busy. But the older cars just have so much more "style" than the newer cars. Cars don't seem to have lines anymore...just blah jellybean shapes. And the older cars actually appreciate in value.
To see my cars, click on my homepage.

Steve W.
1968 280SL
www.stevewaddington.com/camaro

Douglas

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2003, 20:40:31 »
Okay, it's quiet on this board today, so at the risk of boring some of you, I'll share a photo of my Bavarian stablemate to my Pagoda:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/mrdjsk/MAINEBMW2.JPG

(Oddly enough, I know a couple of people in this club who share this same pair of cars. I guess it's a 1960's thing.....)

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

Malc

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2003, 01:58:41 »
Er of the scrap front:
1965 230 SL - in New Jersey I'm in Scotland I'm working on the shipping!
1962 MGA Mk2 -Fun, quite fast, found with a tree growing thought the floor. I restored it - nightmare hardly a flat panel on it.
1974 BMW 2002 Tii fun, fast and a hand full in the wet - restored by me for the good lady
1978 MGB rubber bumpered off the road at the moment my first car
1974 BMW 3.0Csi - restoring, tricky and more rust than the average british leyland product She who must be obeyed likes the shape!
1987 Stage Rallying Lancia Delta Integrale Compete in the Scottish rally championship. Crashed it this year - slowly rebuilding
Clubs:
MG owners Club
BMW Owners Club
Stonehaven and District Motor Club (Motor sports)

No real money so it all takes time to fix the cars as funding becomes available.

Cheers
Malc
Scotland

John A. Dean

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2003, 14:51:04 »
In addition to my 280SL, I have a 63 220SEb coupe (W111).  The car shares a similar drivetrain, suspension, instruments, steering wheel and front seats and this makes me feel like I'm in familiar territory when working on each car.  The cars have completely different personalities though.  Both are solid, reliable and perfect old cars to own, and to drive.

1969 280SL, manual, MB TEX, green/cognac

113gray

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2003, 18:47:20 »
'66 230SL (Italian) w/5 spd ZF tranny, rear "kinder" seat
'59 220S sedan, Webasto sunroof
'72 280SE 4.5, sunroof, Bundt wheels
_JP-

George Davis

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2003, 19:03:02 »
Nice car, Douglas!  We saw a few 3.0CS's and 3.5CS's (I hope I'm getting the names right) in Monterey this year, they are quite good looking cars.  I think the proportions and styling are somewhat similar to the Pagoda's, especially the slender roof pillars.  Maybe that explains why some guys have both?

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2003, 20:07:11 »
I also have a 1956 Jeep CJ-5. It was owned by my first employer and I used to Sit in it when I was 13 and imagine driving. It need total restoration but it only has 11,000 miles on it.

tobacco

• Regular
  • USA, IL, Oak Park
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2003, 21:17:28 »
Has anybody made the observation that both the W113 and the BMW CSi were designed by Paul Bracq?

Bill Greffin
Chicago
Bill Greffin
Chicago

Douglas

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2003, 22:01:15 »
George, thanks for the kind words. Just trying to keep it interesting here by sharing some non-Pagoda pix.

Bill, actually the BMW's 6-series coupe from the late '70s through the late '80s was designed by Paul Bracq, not the '68-'75 E9. If memory serves, the E9's design is credited to Wilhelm Hofmeister.

Interesting point of similarity between Bracq's SL and the Bracq-designed CS: Both cars have a graduated lip that flares out then recedes around each wheel opening. Very Bracq.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 13:28:27 by Douglas »

Albert-230SL

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2003, 11:35:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

...Bill, actually the BMW's 6-series coupe from the late '70s through the late '80s was designed by Paul Bracque, not the '68-'75 E9. If memory serves, the E9's design is credited to Wilhelm Hofmeister.

Interesting point of similarity between Bracque's SL and the Bracque-designed CS...

More information about Paul Bracq in: www.chez.com/bracq

Regards,

Albert de la Torre Chavalera
Barcelona (Catalunya/Spain)
Feb.'64 230 SL Euro 113042-10-002432

n/a

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2003, 15:36:51 »
I have no idea whether anyone else besides me is interested in GT40s, on this Forum, but if you are, the place to hang out on the web is www.GT40s.com, a terrific site run by Ron Earp in NC. At least one 113 owner here also has a GT40 replica; maybe there are some others. I love my 113 car, and doubtless will love it more when we get the bugs out of it, but the GT40 gives me chest pain whenever I see one.  :D

Douglas

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2003, 17:08:15 »
Jim, I bought my 280 SL from an enthusiast in Metamora, Michigan who owned two GT40s, one was real and the other a replica. A gorgeous machine.

Did you see the short film that Ford made to introduce the new version? It was a great piece of film.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #018260

George Davis

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2003, 09:49:04 »
The GT40 is one of my favorite cars.  They are absolutely gorgeous, perhaps the best looking car of all time, and have a fabulous racing history.  I will never be able to own one, but am glad I get to see them occasionally at historic races.  I got to see the original Lola GT, which is the predecessor to the GT40, a couple of years ago before restoration work was begun.  Cute and neat, but not nearly as beautiful as the GT40.

The new Ford GT is, IMO, a very nice update to the original GT40, and I'd be ever so grateful if someone could see fit to give me one!

George Davis
'69 280 SL Euro manual